title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Discogs Classical Albums Issue

Question Discogs Classical Albums Issue

In a Discogs Database thread, I discovered that there's now a policy to use indexed tracks for classical recordings, here: https://support.discogs.com/hc/artic...isting*12.13.1

But that means there are effectively no track numbers for very many classical recordings that have movements within works. Here's an example: https://www.discogs.com/Beethoven-Ch...elease/3370339

In turn that means that when doing a Manual Metadata search,even though the album is there in plain sight, dBpoweramp ripper returns a blank for the album when it reads the URL, presumably because it can't find any track numbers.

I've raised a thread in the Discogs Development forum but get the feeling they aren't likely to change their policy. Would it be possible to amend the ripper code to identify the indexed track references please?

Administrator

Re: Discogs Classical Albums Issue

We can look at it yes, it could be a case that indexes do not always match track numbers (in that a track could contain multiple indexes), this I do not know how to handle.

Thumbs up Re: Discogs Classical Albums Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    We can look at it yes, it could be a case that indexes do not always match track numbers (in that a track could contain multiple indexes), this I do not know how to handle.
    Thanks for responding promptly and looking at the issue. It does significantly devalue your improved Manual Lookup functionality.

Even some insight into how I could explain the issue better to the Discogs admin' and pursue from a stronger position would help in the short term - maybe confirmation from your co that it is an issue and how the 'interaction fail' works technically? I don't even know what indexes are tbh so starting from a low point!

My thing was tech strategy not building, but at least it taught me that two developers with an interaction issue - there isn't going to be a quick fix &*128546;.

Administrator

An index is an indication of a change in music. There exist certain discs that have one single track, but the music is split into indexes within that single track. Normal CD players can identify indexes from the subcodes on the CD and will indicate which index they are on, but an index is not ideal for skipping to the next indexes as there is no table to identify positions, that is what tracks are for.

Thank you for taking the time out to educate me - much appreciated.

Administrator

Issue fixed in next release.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Issue fixed in next release.
    Hurrah - and thank you. Looking forward to trying it when the new release arrives. ATM ripping classical is on hold!

Administrator

I would hope in the next 2 weeks.