title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Question about settings

Unregistered

Question Question about settings

Hi, I'm very new to using my computer to make CD's so I have a question about the settings I should use to make a copy of a CD I have bought. I plan to rip the CD to my computer and then burn straight to a CD and then delete it from my computer. That way I can keep the original at home for use in my stereo and use the copy in my car. I know my car CD player will play wav's and mp3's if that matters, because I have burned those to CD in the past after downloading from internet. I guess I need to know what the bit rate should be and the Hz's and all that if all I want is an exact copy of the one I bought. In other words what is the bitrate and such of a new music CD?

Thanks,
    Wanda (lost in confusion)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Question about settings

i'm not sure if cd's have a bitrate as such. i think is is basically digital wav recording which gets transfered to the cd. i know if i digitially make a track using 16 tracks for recording, i in then end have it converted to wav then burn it to audio cd.

knowing what bitrate to rip to though depends on your needs. you could rip 11 albums to mp3 format to then put on only one cd.

larger bitrates produce a larger size so therefore will reduce how many tracks you can fit an an mp3 cd.

but if you go wav to cd you will only be able to burn to the capacity of the blank cd which is usually 74 min's worth.

a general guide is 128 to 192 or as high as 256.

Unregistered

Wink Re: Question about settings

Thank You

Administrator

A lossless codec, or even wave (PCM 16 bit stereo) will give higher quality.

Unregistered

CD's store music in a psuedo Wave format at 44.1Khz at 16bits, which equates to 1411Kbps.

I find that the best trade off between sound quality and file size of an MP3 is 192K (at 44.1khz and 16bits while encoding of course).

At this setting you should be able to get about 4 or 5 albums of reasonably good quality music per disc