title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: IDE Drive Adaptor Recommendation - SATA or USB

IDE Drive Adaptor Recommendation - SATA or USB

Hello,

I've used dBpoweramp to rip at least 5,000 CDs over the past number of years. Over time I've collected CDs that have failed to rip accurately on any of my currently used 6 drives. I decided to purchase a used Plextor PX-230A drive off eBay based on its reputation of being a very good drive to see if it might be successful on these trouble discs. I've tried using a couple IDE adaptors, one USB and another SATA but have not been successful in getting the drive to show in dBpoweramp. The drive will power on and the tray opens. The USB adaptor I have appears to only be recognized as a storage device on my Windows machine.

Is there a specific recommendation someone can make for a currently available IDE to either USB or SATA adaptor they have used successfully for optical drive connection? I'm looking to purchase in the US, so an amazon or ebay link would be ideal.

Any other recommendations to get this working? The jumper is currently on the "master" setting.

Thanks for any help!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: IDE Drive Adaptor Recommendation - SATA or USB

I've used a powered Lindy 42868 USB2 adaptor (daisy chained to 2 x USB) to ide / sata for the last six pass six years to successfully hook up both old pata and newer sata DVD drives - they have always been recognised. Do you know if the drive works, not just opening / closing the drawer? I've seen this on a friend's drive.

Are your errors just a few frames, or complete Copy Protection fails where there can be 1,000s of errors?

Hi Oggy,

Thanks for the reply. I bought the drive used and the seller's description indicated the drive was tested and working, though I don't have a way to verify functionality other than the tray opening.

I was hoping that someone could share an adaptor that was know to function with optical drives. I've seen amazon reviews for some IDE to SATA or USB adaptors which appear to be designed for hard drive use and users had issues when trying to use with optical drives.

It looks like the Lindy 42868 adaptor is more difficult to source in the US, and is replaced by a newer model. I'll keep this in mind as an option however.

I'd much appreciate if any other users can recommend an adaptor they are using successfully.

As for the errors on the discs, I think it is a variety of issues on the 20-30 "problem discs" I have. Some likely have scratches, but I also know there are a handful of early CD pressings (early 1980s) which appear in very good condition but that have numerous issues on all tracks. I'm perplexed as to why they don't rip on any of the multiple drives I've tried over the years.

dBpoweramp Guru

I've used several different adapters over the years (they sometimes don't work when you knock the drive on the floor and break the SATA connector off...) Mostly VANTEC, because they were what Micro Center had in stock. Vantec seems to change the model numbers every few years, but they have always worked (when not damaged!)

The detail specs for the current model, VANTEC CB-ISA225-U3, specifically lists optical drives as being compatible. Do be aware that not all USB ports on a particular computer may be set up identically, look at the drivers and the bios settings if you have issues. The adapters from Vantec similar to this model (might even be exactly this model?) that I've tried work fine on both SATA and IDE drives.

Regarding discs with errors, I've ripped thousands of discs and I get duds from time to time. Some, particularly EMI discs from the early 2000's but also others were "copy protected" by inserting purposeful errors in the bitstream. Some drives will read them better than others. It may come up with thousands of re-rips but if you let it rip all night, you may possibly get a clean sounding rip, make sure you don't have it set to quit on an error. Listen to the result, are they "bit accurate", no, that is what copy protection often does. But if they are OK to your ear, who cares? I've had some with like one audible glitch in a track that I decided was better than no rip. I've had a few that just were a lost cause.

I've also run into discs that were warped or dished that wouldn't read, best off to try to find another copy on eBay. I actually, quite by chance found out that a Blue-ray drive I have read a couple of them. They really wound up to about 40X speed from beginning to end with no errors, wouldn't even read much in my other drives. I think that the very high speed put enough centrifugal force onto them to flatten them out.

I've also had a lot of CDR duds I've ended up with over the years, not much you can do except find another copy.

Scratches and badly placed fingerprints will mess up reading CDs. Washing them is always worthwhile. And some make drives will do a much better job of ripping scratched discs than others, it is worthwhile to have an assortment.

I've run into a few badly stored old discs (the glove compartment or front dashboard are particularly bad) that had "disc rot" The aluminum reflective layer was either peeling off or had pinholes when held up to the light. Good luck on recovering much on a disc with this issue.

I just ordered the VANTEC CB-ISA225-U3 and will give it a shot when it arrives early this week. Thanks for for the recommendation! I've also ordered another inexpensive adaptor or two prior to your posting. Soon I'll have more spent in the adaptors than the drive. If none of the adaptors work, I'd conclude the drive likely has issues and will look at sourcing another.

dBpoweramp Guru

Have you got any old DVD drive you could try to test your adaptor? A work colleague has used a generic adaptor with good results.

Regarding copy protected discs, schmidj is absolutely correct, most of these were from 2000 and for a few years after that. The European releases often had protection when the US didn't. A couple of my drives would give an AccurateRip, whilst others throw up 1,000s of errors.

Good luck.

A quick update....

I just received the following adapter from Amazon:

Vantec SATA/IDE TO USB 3.0 Adapter (CB-ISA225-U3)

The Plextor PX-230A drive is up and running. The only small problem was that the molex power connector that came with the adapter was too large to fit at the same time the IDE adapter was inserted (there is very little room between the power connector and IDE connector on the drive). Luckily, a power connector I had from another adapter was able to fit at the same time as the Vantec IDE adapter. For anyone else that happens to see this post, be aware of this potential issue.

The power adapter I did use came with

SABRENT USB 3.0 to SATA/IDE 2.5/3.5/5.25-INCH Hard Drive Converter with Power Supply & LED Activity Lights [4TB Support] (USB-DSC9)
    However, the Sabrent adapter does not work for with the drive, only the power connector.

Thanks to all for the help!

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi sneakmasterG,

Great news that you've got the Plextor up and running. I've got a couple of drives where the molex connector is very tight, think this may be a common issue.

Good luck re-ripping those troublesome CDs.

Oggy

dBpoweramp Guru

The original Molex connector is a pretty crappy, unreliable connector, but it is cheap, hence why it was used in PC power systems. The crimp pins aren't crimped that solidly, it isn't very hard for the wires to pull out, particularly when they "cheat" and make a "Y" connector by crimping two wires in one male pin. And there is absolutely no strain relief on the wires in a connector. I've had too many Molex connectors, in computers and other electronics, come apart, sometimes with not so nice results.

I suspect that Vantec and others are all too aware of this weakness and have made their own Molex clone connectors, which mate electrically but are more ruggedly made, with some form of strain relief. But the outside dimensions are a little bigger, and can cause problems when closely spaced, like the IDE connections on the back of some optical discs. One can either use a male to female Molex extension or carve a little away on the provided connectors with a razor blade.