title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Files, Folders & Playlists.

Files, Folders & Playlists.

So got past my firewall issues, and can now test this to see if it's better than "trusty twonky", so far, search does seem quicker, but album artwork display seems slower. The real issue I have however is library management, and mixing of playlists with folders.

My music is stored thus:

Albums:
    Root\Artist\Album\Tracks

Some playlists:
    Root\PlaylistA.M3u
    Root\PlaylistB.M3u

and a folder of tracks that I used to broadcast a home radio station

\Root\RadioPlaylist\FlatDirOfRadioPlaylistFiles
    \Root\RadioPlaylist\RadioPlaylist.M3u

There is intentional duplication between the files from albums and some choice tracks contained in the RadioPlaylist directory.

What I want:

To be able to play this RadioPlaylist, and also the playlists at the root level that reference files located anywhere below. What I don't want however is to see the files listed in any other view other than playlists. What I am seeing is when I search for a album, I see 2 albums, the "real" album, and some files contained on that album that live in the RadioPlaylist directory.

When I use Twonky, These get excluded by the compilationdir setting. How can I achieve a similar thing in Asset? I would like to avoid moving files and folder, and everything is configured this way and has worked fine for many years.

I have tried to use the "Playlist Folders" but it's as soon as you add the top level Root in (to catch the playlists at the top level), you can't add anything below it. It's unclear if it's looking for folders to make virtual playlists, or for actual playlist files. The help file says that sub-folders aren't scanned with the playlists, implying it's only the folder you select, however you are unable to add sub-folders, which is confusing me.
    Last edited by Vim_Fuego; 04-06-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Administrator

Re: Files, Folders & Playlists.

That is correct, you would have to add [root] and \Root\RadioPlaylist\ to the library list and define them as playlist locations.

You should then browse the playlists under 'Playlists' within asset.

Does this mean this is a bug in 7.2? As it's not possible to add a playlist folder, and another playlist folder that is in a folder below it?

So in my example adding root folder as a playlist folder AND adding root\RadioPlaylist folder is NOT possible.

Administrator

Yes it should be possible, you add the two locations separately and mark as playlist folders.

Not working here, as soon as I add the root folder, it removed anything that is below it that has already been added. Tried adding them in both orders. R7.2 Synology.

OK, it's possible to work around this by using Edit As Plan Test, and adding both folders, however it's still not working as per the documentation which states:

Watched Playlist Folders can be used to indicate to Asset where your playlists are stored, sub folders are not scanned, found playlists will be presented under the Playlist entry in the main browse menu.

It's finding playlists that are several folders below the root, so it does appear to be scanning for playlists in sub-folders.

Super Moderator

Issue noted, thanks for reporting.

Adding parent folder and subfolder is currently blocked because people kept adding main media folder *and* its subfolders to the scanned folder list.

The behavior will be clarified in the next update.

Super Moderator