title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Any idea why The Gäs would not show up under G for Artist or Album Artist?

Any idea why The Gäs would not show up under G for Artist or Album Artist?

The band The Gäs doesn't show up in the Artist or Album Artist tree sort.

Their album Savage is found under Albums as expected.

All my MP3 tags are correct, it's all sorted correctly in Plex.

Mötley Crüe and Blue Öyster Cult sort correctly, so I'm not sure it has to do with the umlaut.

I also checked and they don't show up under T for The either.

This is Windows version 7.

I now see it's sorted strangely and showing up way out of alphabetical order. I can probably fix by using non umlaut tags for sort order, but that's a hack.

Looks like sorting umlauts in the wrong order(not IAW the DIN 5007 standard) is a common problem and there are variety of ways to code a fix.
    Last edited by andr0id; 04-04-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Administrator

Re: Any idea why The Gäs would not show up under G for Artist or Album Artist?

You can set the 'artist sort' tag to 'Gus'

Re: Any idea why The Gäs would not show up under G for Artist or Album Artist?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You can set the 'artist sort' tag to 'Gus'
    yep, that worked. It's a side effect of a being 0x61 and ä being 0xe4. You'd have to sort using a locale specific sort algorithm or something that's smarter than just sorting by Unicode ID.
    For example in Explorer, it's Garbage, Gäs, Genesis. (I don't ever put articles in my top level directory if the bands name has one)