title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Can I combine Burst and Secure for ripping CDs in AccurateRip DB?

Can I combine Burst and Secure for ripping CDs in AccurateRip DB?

My current workflow:

Insert disc.
    - If it's in AccurateRip DB, change ripping mode to Burst.
    - If it's not in ARDB, change ripping mode to Secure.

Rip disc.
    - If rip was in Burst mode and any tracks fail to match, change to Secure mode and re-rip those tracks

Is there any way to automate this? First pass Burst and subsequent passes Secure?

Burst mode on my drive (Lite-On Premium) is nearly 48X while Secure mode hits 18X tops... And if we are matching against ARDB it seems a waste of time for the first pass to be Secure.

Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Can I combine Burst and Secure for ripping CDs in AccurateRip DB?

Hmmm, With respect, this makes no sense to me. With UltraSecure mode turned on in dbpa, the first pass is BURST, and if it gets an AR match, it stops after that. If it doesn't get an AR match, then it goes on to do several passes (depending on your settings) to try to get to "secure". So what you are asking is already automated.
    p.s. I haven't seen the differences in speed that you notice. There are major differences across different CDs, but not based on AR vs burst.
    Last edited by garym; 03-16-2021 at 05:49 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Completely agree with Gary and over 2,000++ CDs the first time AccurateRip, or secure if not in database is over 97%.

Administrator

It already effectively does this, but you just choose secure, if the first pass matches accuraterip then the Rip is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It already effectively does this, but you just choose secure, if the first pass matches accuraterip then the Rip is finished.
    Hi, thanks for your reply! I understand that is how it works logically in Secure mode, but I was wondering if we can use actual Burst mode for the first pass instead. I guess the answer is no.

Maybe it's just an oddity of this drive. I believe it's physically the same drive as the newest Plextor models if anyone has one of those.

I have tried with C2 enabled or disabled with no difference. BTW this drive does not function at all in Secure mode unless 8K Transfers are enabled (even though it is SATA and not USB). However the 8K setting does not affect ripping speed on any other drive I've tried on this system.

Below is an example of speed of ripping in Burst mode vs. Secure mode.

For this example I'm ripping the first Outkast album, which is in the AccurateRip DB, but I have these same kind of results with basically all discs. In Secure mode it never goes faster than x18 rip speed on this drive.

UltraSecure mode:
    Speed starts at x18 and slows to x16 by the end of the disc.
    Ripping the whole CD took 3 minutes 55 seconds.
    All tracks verified Accurate.

Burst mode:
    Speed starts at x22 and reached x45 by the end of the disc.
    Ripping the whole CD took 2 minutes 3 seconds.
    All tracks verified Accurate.

The resulting FLAC files are binary identical between those two rips (of course).
    Last edited by stlpaul; 03-18-2021 at 11:18 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
    Hi, thanks for your reply! I understand that is how it works logically in Secure mode, but I was wondering if we can use actual Burst mode for the first pass instead. I guess the answer is no.
    Perhaps this is a communication issue, but to reiterate: secure ripping does in fact use BURST for the first pass. And then if it gets an AR match, it is done. One pass with burst.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Perhaps this is a communication issue, but to reiterate: secure ripping does in fact use BURST for the first pass. And then if it gets an AR match, it is done. One pass with burst.
    I do appreciate your replies, but please consider the example I gave in the post that you are replying to. There is apparently something that is not 100% identical between the two modes for there to be such a large difference in performance.

Perhaps my question should be worded differently: Why is the first pass of Secure mode half the speed of Burst mode on the LITEON DH-16AFSH PREMM2?

Anyway I seem to have found the combination of options that is slowing it down: when I have C2 + 8KB transfers both ENABLED in the Secure Settings, the first pass of UltraSecure mode is slow. Burst mode presumably does not use these options and so it is fast every time. And this seems to be proof that Secure mode's first pass is not 100% exactly the same as Burst mode because these secure mode options do affect it.

I imagine those settings probably do not cause a difference in performance on most drives so perhaps it is effectively the same thing in most cases, but on this particular drive there's a big difference.

The C2/8KB settings for a drive are not something that gets saved in profiles so I cannot easily switch back and forth there, unfortunately.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
    Why is the first pass of Secure mode half the speed of Burst mode on the LITEON DH-16AFSH PREMM2?
    Yes, that's the question. Only @spoon can answer that one.

Administrator

>when I have C2 + 8KB transfers both ENABLED in the Secure Setti

There should be no difference, unless your drive does not work with c2 pointers correctly. I would leave off.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    >when I have C2 + 8KB transfers both ENABLED in the Secure Setti

There should be no difference, unless your drive does not work with c2 pointers correctly. I would leave off.
    By the way, many drives that report working with C2, don't truly work with C2.

It seems it must be so. To be honest I have no way to know whether the C2 truly works or not. For now I will leave it off (even if it means an extra pass for non-ARDB discs). Maybe there's a different firmware version which works better. Thanks for the advice!