title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Trying to understand tags

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulch
    • Mar 2021

Trying to understand tags

I've read through loads of forum posts etc but am still not sure how the tags work or which ones I should be focusing on.

In terms of setup I am using a Synology DS200+ NAS with Asset UPnP and a Cambridge Audio CXNv2 with CA StreamMagic on an iPad.

I am trying to understand which tags contain what data and which ones are actually made available to the Cambridge Audio software. For example, using CD Ripper I have just ripped a few tracks from an Eminem CD, as this is a compilation album and I'm trying to work out how to get the right track artist for each track on this type of album. I have attached the screen shots showing the configuration. This displays as I would expect when I look at it on the iPad in StreamMagic i.e. each track shows the correct track artist. What I'm not clear on is which tags are making this work, as I want to understand this before ripping the rest of my CDs.

I took the naming profile from one of the posts.

[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]

When I look at the track files in Windows 10 File Explorer I can see data on the right of the screen which shows artist etc and if I right click for properties on a track I get a slightly different set of data (screen shots also attached).

I'm not seeing consistency between these various displays. For example, the data on the right of the screen refers to an Album Artist (Obie Trice) whereas the properties data doesn't mention this. The Metadata review screen in CD Ripper doesn't show an Album Artist and nor does the main CD Ripper screen. I'm also no clear on the purpose of the data entry fields at the top of the main CD Ripper screen i.e. Album Artist, Genre, Album etc. Do these override anything selected on the Metadata review screen? A lesser, but related point, if I entered something in the Comment field where would that be used i.e. where would I see it?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	297612Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	297613Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	297614
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Trying to understand tags

This tag does not exist in the file, it is likely that Artist is also being used as 'Album Artist' for that section you gave a screenshot of.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• paulch
      • Mar 2021

Thanks, I guess that means I shouldn't trust what Windows Explorer is showing me.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by paulch
        Thanks, I guess that means I shouldn't trust what Windows Explorer is showing me.

correct. Rather, look at file tags using dbpa ID tag editor, or some other tag editor (e.g., mp3tag).

Comment

• paulch
          • Mar 2021

Still trying to figure this out for compilation albums.

If I leave the Album Artist field blank then the StreamMagic app (on iPad) will display the album title with no artist, which is what I would expect, and the tracks will display the correct artist per track, also as expected.

If I set the Album Artist field to "Various Artists" then StreamMagic will display this under the album title, as expected, but will also display it against each track, instead of the correct track artist. I can only assume that StreamMagic is being provided with different track artist data when I change the Album Artist data, although I don't understand why.

I am wondering if settings in Asset UPnP (which I am currently trialling) are changing the contents of the tags, and if so is there a way of seeing what actually gets sent to the control point?

I note that there are some settings in the Asset Options that don't appear in the Help documentation. Are these described anywhere?

Fill missing Album Artist tags from Artist or Compilation tags
          Album Defined by Folder - ticked
          Read ID3v2 TPE2 as Orchestra (I don't think I'm interested in this one)
          Support server-side album art resizing - ticked

Comment

• paulch
            • Mar 2021

Ignore the last message about the track artists displaying differently in Stream Magic when only the album artist is changed. I noticed that it displayed correctly on the CXN console so I contacted Cambridge Audio who have confirmed a bug in StreamMagic.

Comment

Working...

]]>