title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

What Music Palyer Software Works with Default DBpoweramp Folder Structure?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mjake03
    • Mar 2021

What Music Palyer Software Works with Default DBpoweramp Folder Structure?

Hi - new to this forum and getting ready to rip my entire CD collection along with my wife's so we can sell our CD's. I have tested an album with the free 21 day trial of DBperformance, and noticed that it creates a certain folder structure, and finds and creates one .jpg image of the album art that's in the folder with the .wav's.

My question is, what music player software out there will work with this default folder structure and metadata (including the one album art .jpg file) such that it will display the album art for each song, name, etc, and be able to advance to the next track, etc... you know, act like a music player? Will iTunes? Something else? I'm on a mac. I'd prefer not to use iTunes as I already have MP3's and a folder and playlist structure set up for that, and don't want to have to keep switching pointers back and forth within iTunes.

Please help - would like to solve this before I start ripping in earnest.

Thanks so much!!

Mark
    Last edited by Mjake03; 03-14-2021, 12:23 AM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: What Music Player Software Works with Default DBpoweramp Folder Structure?

Most players use ID Tags not filenames, wave is not ideal for id tags because not much supports them in wave files.

You are better ripping to FLAC, or Apple Lossless.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Mjake03
      • Mar 2021

Thanks Spoon, I think I've settled on AIFF. Given that file type, and the folder structure DBpoweramp defaults to, my question still stands - what's the best music player that will recognize and use the folder structure, including the album art .jpg?

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Mjake03
        Thanks Spoon, I think I've settled on AIFF. Given that file type, and the folder structure DBpoweramp defaults to, my question still stands - what's the best music player that will recognize and use the folder structure, including the album art .jpg?
        almost any server/player will work. Foobar2000, LMS Squeezebox, Roon Labs, and many more. Provide a bit more info. Are you asking about a combined server/player. You already have a music server and you want separate players? What operating system are you using for your server (OS, Windows, Linux, ???). And you do not have to use the dbpa default settings in dbpa. Lots of flexibility. Use any folder structure you want and you can also embed the artwork rather than using folder.jpg or cover.jpg. All that is super easy to change in the settings.
        Last edited by garym; 03-14-2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• GBrown
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Oct 2009

Note there are some compatibility issues with AIFF format with some music players, especially if you move off of the Apple format someday. Plus if I recall correctly I had some issues with limited tag fields as well. You may be better to consider ALAC if you are on a Mac and still want the most flexibility for tagging now and player options as well. It is a lossless format, so with CD conversion there is no risk of data loss. The only thing you don't get in ALAC that FLAC does offer is the CRC check.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by GBrown
            The only thing you don't get in ALAC that FLAC does offer is the CRC check.
            Which is non-trivial if one ever wants to check a harddrive full of files to see whether any have become corrupted. Easy with a bunch of FLACs with a couple of mouse clicks and a batch approach. Very hard/impossible to do with anything else. Of all the lossless codec formats, WAV and AIFF are the two least flexible and problematic. Don't believe the audiophool nonsense on the web regarding the "better sound" of WAV, etc.
            Last edited by garym; 03-14-2021, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Mjake03
              • Mar 2021

Thanks Garym. I plan on having the folder structure on a USB 3.2 solid state 1TB external drive, plugged into a mac mini that I run into my stereo/AV via HDMI. I wanted to run a player (other than iTunes as there are other music files and playlists that my wife uses and I don't want to keep resetting the pointer in iTunes) on the mac mini and point it to the external drive.

Any suggestions?

Comment

• Mjake03
                • Mar 2021

I am definitely open to FLAC, am experimenting with it now.

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

I'm not a Mac user, so not sure I'm the best person to suggest. Logitech Media Server runs on a Mac. Not sure about foobar2000. Mac users will have to chime in.

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

It seems that foobar2000 has developed a Mac version. I'm a long-time user of foobar2000 on windows and many folks, including people on this forum, are fans of foobar2000 as a player. See:

Good forum for foobar2000 users here:

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

I am definitely open to FLAC, am experimenting with it now.
                      But do keep in mind that iTunes can't pay FLAC files.

Comment

• Mjake03
                        • Mar 2021

Originally posted by garym
                        It seems that foobar2000 has developed a Mac version. I'm a long-time user of foobar2000 on windows and many folks, including people on this forum, are fans of foobar2000 as a player. See:

Good forum for foobar2000 users here:
                        https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/board,28.0.html
                        Thanks - I'll try it out!!

Comment

• Mjake03
                          • Mar 2021

Originally posted by garym
                          But do keep in mind that iTunes can't pay FLAC files.
                          Yes, thanks. I've decided to go with AIFF given that I'm a Mac household. I used the advanced setup documentation to help me understand all the settings I need to set to optimize for quality and error-identification. I started ripping in earnest last night.

I'll look into Foobar2000 for a player for the Mac, but so far what I am finding on it is it's not completely baked software, so if any of you have any other ideas on players, please keep em comin!

Thanks

M

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

got it. p.s. foobar2000 for Mac may not be completely baked yet (as it's new). But foobar2000 for windows is one of the more sophisticated and flexible players out there, albeit one that has a bit of learning curve. Hopefully the Mac version will get to the same point.

Comment

• Mjake03
                              • Mar 2021

Anyone ever use Audirvana? Thoughts? Reviews?

Comment

Working...

]]>