title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ultra Ripping

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Ultra Ripping

Is Ultra ripping really necessary if the CD's are in good condition? It takes so much longer and I can't tell a difference with or without it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ultra Ripping

With ultra secure ripping it first does a burst rip (very fast) then if you get an accuraterip match it finishes. Only if it doesn&*8217;t get the AR match does it do the other passes. What are your settings for number of other passes?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

min 3, max 6, after clean 2

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mrcd View Post
    min 3, max 6, after clean 2
    I do min 2, max 3, stop after clean 2.
    dont most of your rips end up with accurateRip match, thus fast.

dBpoweramp Guru

Just FYI, I do min 1 max 5 (I recall, I'm not on my ripping computer) stop after clean 2

Many of my Caribbean CDs are not in accuraterip, with those settings, if the CD isn't in accuraterip,it does two normal rips and one "ultra secure" rip and goes to the next cut if all match each other. If not, it does the other Ultra Secure rips and then starts reripping the bad frames. So yes, it takes longer but only if either the CD has problems or isn't in accuraterip. And that's what the purpose of this is, to find defective CDs, not to make the music sound "better" with more rips. The only way it sounds "better" is if there is a defect and either by getting matches in the ultra secure rips or through repeated reripping it is able to get a good (we hope) replacement for the defective frame(s). Sounding better is likely to mean not skipping or being stuck or having dropouts.

BTW, if the content recorded on the source CD is bad, none of this can fix it. Uncommon, but a few days ago I ripped a new(to me) used CD, not in accuraterip, ripped clean in three passes. Played the ripped audio, there were dropouts. played the actual CD, there were dropouts at exactly the same places. CD looks fine to the eye, and the fact that the recovered audio from all three passes matched exactly (same checksum) points to the dropouts being in the source material recorded on the CD. I'm going to contact the people who originally issued the (private issue from a school) CD (if they aren't all at home from Covid!) and try to find out if all the copies of the CD had the same issue.