title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dsd to pcm

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Dsd to pcm

Hi, everytime I convert a DSD (2.8) file to PCM (specifically aiff), there is a significant volume drop. How can I prevent this?

Administrator

Re: Dsd to pcm

Use the dap effect volume normalise set to peak to peak.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Use the dap effect volume normalise set to peak to peak.
    Ok, thanks. Let me see if I can work it.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

It is okay, but won't peak-to-peak affect the dynamic range of the recording?

Administrator

No, the whole volume is increased at the same time, like changing the volume knob on your stereo would not affect the dynamic range.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    No, the whole volume is increased at the same time, like changing the volume knob on your stereo would not affect the dynamic range.
    Many thanks.

Hi Spoon,
    this thread is a little bit old. But I have a question to it. When I use the normalize function in the way you described here, doesn´t this change the individual volume of each track (like ReplayGain in track mode)? If yes, is there a way to normalise a group of files peak-to-peak in album mode?
    Regards

Administrator

It is track based, to do album based, you would have to create replaygain album tags, then use the utility codec 'Replaygain Apply'

Hi Spoon,

thank you very much. I have already thought of this workaround. However, there is no peak-to-peak option in the replay gain utility for album gain either to simulate album normalize.

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by Saitenschwinger View Post
    to simulate album normalize.
    Edit: I mean album peak normalize

Administrator

Peak to peak is not album based.

? Of course album peak normalize is possible. Why not? AuI Converter i.e. has a fully automated album maximize peak normalization function. So my question is, how can I do this with dBpoweramp?

Administrator

dBpoweramp does not offer this ability, it is a use case we did not consider as popular (EBU R128 is the main one used for matching volumes across albums).

O.k., thank You. I hope we are not talking about different things. IMHO album peak normalization is not for matching volumes across albums. For this case I agree with you that replay gain with EBU 128 makes more sense.

Album peak normalization is for maximizing the peak on file level of an whole album without changing the volume difference between the songs of an album.

This is, what AuI converter (and others) are able to. dBpoweramp not?

Administrator

dBpoweramp cannot do this, but album based EBU 128 also changes the volume overall whilst maintaining the relative levels present on an album.