title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: New user - question re profiles

New user - question re profiles

Thanks for addressing my previous question about cache/buffer.

I am trying to setup a couple of profiles, one to be my "master" and the other for re-ripping any tracks that fail the first time. I looked at the documentation and all I can find is a couple of lines that say you can create and delete a profile.

Having looked through the forum posts I thought I understood how it works i.e.

- with the default profile loaded, make the desired settings changes and create a new profile from default called "master"
    - don't make any more changes with "master" loaded as these would then be saved in that profile whether you wanted to keep them or not
    - create a new profile called "error" and make the settings changes for re-ripping the error tracks(s)

What I am finding is that however I do this, the last changes I make are always saved to all the profiles. So the changes I make with the "error" profile loaded then appear in the "master" and "default" profiles.

I must be missing something fundamental here but I can't figure out what.

Administrator

Re: New user - question re profiles

First profile, choose the encoder FLAC, 2nd profile choose WAVE, now load the first profile again and it should show flac as the encoder. If not then something is stopping the writing of profiles.

I think I may have partially answered my question, although it still leaves me confused.

I've never been near the Registry before but I saw a post that gave the location of the profiles in the Registry. I've just had a look at the settings in the Registry and noticed that they are all the same for each profile. I started with just the default profile and compared the settings as I added each new profile.

I probably didn't give enough info in my original question, as the only setting I was changing was the maximum speed, as I understood that this should be slowed down to assist with re-ripping an errored track. I can't see any reference to maximum speed in the Registry settings, which sort of explains why it is affecting all the profiles, although I don't understand this.

dBpoweramp Guru

Unlikely changing max speed will help you with ripping tracks with errors. More likely to help would be cleaning the CD or trying with a different drive. Both those things work well for me. Often strange how a CD rip has errors with one drive and rips fine with another. And all my drives are cheap, nothing special.

Thanks, I did get a good rip although I changed some other settings as well, so it could have been down to those. The purpose of just changing the single setting (max speed) was to check that I could create different profiles before I spent more time configuring those. I understood from responses to other posts that all changed settings were saved in the current profile, which appears not to be the case.

Administrator

Certain settings are drive based, not profile based, the ones highlighted in yellow on the options page are not profile based.

Ah thanks, makes sense now.

dBpoweramp Guru

I find that certain make drives are better than others with specific issues. I have some SH-224 (Samsung and others) that routinely read somewhat scratched discs much better than others, no or few re-rips. But a badly scratched CD won't read in them, they slow down to basically zero. Other drives may eventually read the badly scratched CDs with a lot of re-reads but with a listenable rip in the end (while it is "nice" to have bit-perfect rips, what really counts is does the rip "sound" OK, and if there are imparements, are they serious enough to delete the file and either try to get another CD or just skip that track/CD.)

And the one BlueRay burner I have it turns out (I found out by chance) actually sometimes works well on warped/dished CDs, It's miserable on scratched ones. But it tends not to slow down on some of the warped ones, just plowing through. I think the centrifugal force at the high speed tends to flatten out the warp, making the discs more likely to be within the focus range of the laser.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Unlikely changing max speed will help you with ripping tracks with errors. More likely to help would be cleaning the CD or trying with a different drive. Both those things work well for me. Often strange how a CD rip has errors with one drive and rips fine with another. And all my drives are cheap, nothing special.
    Having finished ripping all my CDs, I found that changing the speed if I had a couple of error tracks on a CD definitely made a difference and enabled a successful rip. I just changed it from maximum to 1 for those tracks, not having any idea what the significance of 1 is compared to any of the other selectable speeds, but it worked. I don't understand the quirks of the different drives. I mostly used an external drive as it supported C2 pointers, but sometimes it would reject every track on a CD with "X Error". If I put the same CD in the internal drive it sailed through and got the positive results against the database. I didn't have a problem with dirty/scratched discs as I had treated them as carefully as I did my LPs.

dBpoweramp Guru

Excellent!

p.s. I too treat my CDs and vinyl well. Oddly, I've always been more likely to have trouble ripping a brand new CD, never played, just placed in drive to rip right out of the new package, as compared to CDs I've played hundreds of times over the last 35 years.