title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Recovering my History of ripped CDs

Recovering my History of ripped CDs

I had to completly reinstall my iMac IOS, a clean Big Sur installation. Now I am trying to find the database of all my ripped CDs collection from the BackUp copies HDD. Could you please let me know the root where dbpoweramp kept that info?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Recovering my History of ripped CDs

Quote Originally Posted by dalenio View Post
    I had to completly reinstall my iMac IOS, a clean Big Sur installation. Now I am trying to find the database of all my ripped CDs collection from the BackUp copies HDD. Could you please let me know the root where dbpoweramp kept that info?
    Thinking more about your question, I'm not sure what you are actually asking, so you'll need to clarify. Do you mean the "cache" info that dbpa keeps from recent CD rips (for example, you rip a CD, then insert it again and it pulls up and populates the metadata, etc. with any edits you may have done)? This cache only keeps a handful of prior CD info, not a complete set. On the windows version I use, there is no database with a list of all my prior ripped CDs? Or are you asking about more than a "list" of ripped CDs. Are you thinking that dbpa saved all your rips as a backup? It doesn't do that. Hopefully, if you lost all your music files, you have a separate backup disk elsewhere you can copy from.

In any case, please clarify what you mean. thanks.

Yes, I meant the first case. The software was keeping that cache with all the info I edited when I ripped my CDs, so when was inserting them again I could see all the info I had edited. There were so many CDs I ripped editing full info (1400px cover, writers, ISRC codes, copyright). So now I want to know the root of that cache to search it from my Backup copies and to fix it into my new clean IOS.

dBpoweramp Guru

This cache is a FIFO storage (first in, first out). It is not a persistent storage. So it might be incomplete if you have a hugh number of CDs ripped.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, I meant the first case. The software was keeping that cache with all the info I edited when I ripped my CDs, so when was inserting them again I could see all the info I had edited. There were so many CDs I ripped editing full info (1400px cover, writers, ISRC codes, copyright). So now I want to know the root of that cache to search it from my Backup copies and to fix it into my new clean IOS.
    someone with a Mac will have to chime in. But I'm still confused. This is info from your prior rips. You have those rips (digital files) already, including all the artwork and tag info. The old info would only help if you were reripping the CDs. But why rerip them?
    Last edited by garym; 03-04-2021 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    someone with a Mac will have to chime in. But I'm still confused. This is info from your prior rips. You have those rips (digital files) already, including all the artwork and tag info. The old info would only help if you were reripping the CDs. But why rerip them?
    I lost part of the prior rips from my external HDD that now is not working anymore. That's why I decided to reinstall a clean IOS on my iMac. Now I need to rerip some of them (about 500 cds) to WAVE again. I have another HDD for backups and I wonder if I could recover settings and cache (I think dbpa saved a database)from those old backup copies.
    Hope someone can help me. Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

I lost part of the prior rips from my external HDD that now is not working anymore. That's why I decided to reinstall a clean IOS on my iMac. Now I need to rerip some of them (about 500 cds) to WAVE again. I have another HDD for backups and I wonder if I could recover settings and cache (I think dbpa saved a database)from those old backup copies.
    Hope someone can help me. Thanks!
    A bit more clarification: On your backup HDD, this was a backup of your iMac, including program files, program cache files, etc. (essentially a mirror of your main drive on the iMac). Is this correct. If so, a Mac user can likely point you in the direction of where the cache is normally located (by the way, I'm sure the cache keeps track of WAY FEWER than the last 500 CDs you ripped). If the backup HDD only has the music files you ripped, there would be no database or cache of rips.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    A bit more clarification: On your backup HDD, this was a backup of your iMac, including program files, program cache files, etc. (essentially a mirror of your main drive on the iMac). Is this correct. If so, a Mac user can likely point you in the direction of where the cache is normally located (by the way, I'm sure the cache keeps track of WAY FEWER than the last 500 CDs you ripped). If the backup HDD only has the music files you ripped, there would be no database or cache of rips.
    Yes, the backup HDD works perfectly and has some backup copies of my iMac: apps, library, settings, etc.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, the backup HDD works perfectly and has some backup copies of my iMac: apps, library, settings, etc.

got it. Then all you need is a Mac user to give you some feedback on where these files sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    This cache is a FIFO storage (first in, first out). It is not a persistent storage. So it might be incomplete if you have a hugh number of CDs ripped.

Dat Ei
    Thanks for the info! Let's see where I could find it.