title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Why does PT not always remember previous scans?

Why does PT not always remember previous scans?

Hello,

Started using latest PT 3.3 version and program seems to find duplicates that other programs can't.
    That's great but I noticed that when scanning already scanned folders, PT doesn't always use the cache from previous scans of those folders and just start all over, which is not practical in my case.
    So, why sometimes remembering and sometimes not?
    Any help would be welcomed.

Administrator

Re: Why does PT not always remember previous scans?

If the files have changed, because of tagging change, or any file changes (look at last write for the file), they will be rescanned.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If the files have changed, because of tagging change, or any file changes (look at last write for the file), they will be rescanned.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    In my case, I want to periodically compare about 30000 songs to a batch of new ones, which takes a few hours if rescanning is happening.
    When you say "files changes", let's assume some files of the 30000 do change, why scanning is run again on all the 30000 songs and not just the changed ones?

Administrator

Unless the files are removed then added again later, they should not be re-listened to. The files will be listed though.

You mean removed from the "Music Library" in the bottom?
    I rechecked and indeed as long as a folder is listed there, PT won't scan it again, which is great,
    but if I remove it from the list to check another folder and then add it again, it rescans all over.
    As I do need to sometimes compare different folders this rescanning for hours again each time doesn't seem practical.
    Thanks.

Administrator

You should let perfectTunes monitor your whole library, not adding or removing individual folders.

Thanks, that would be the logical way but in my case I have 2 big folders and I need to compare each one seperately to a new batch of songs. But I'll try to find a solution that enables what you offered