title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: “New & Improved” AccurateRip?

“New & Improved” AccurateRip?

AccurateRip clearly helps you make bit perfect rips, and can obviously do so with practically any ODD. And it’s free. But I don’t like two things about it. First, it can only do what it’s supposed to do if you rip the whole CD. Sure, you can delete from your HDD the tracks of music you don’t want. And while ripping the whole CD may not take very long it still wastes time.

Second, ripping a whole CD, rather than just the one or two tracks you want, puts more wear on the drive. And while the cost of replacing most drives is often well under $35, all of those short lived drives create more electronics waste, which often never get recycled.

Sure it’s not possible to invent a “new and improved” AccurateRip?

Administrator

Re: “New & Improved” AccurateRip?

You do not have to rip the whole CD to have tracks verified whilst ripping.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey dped91,

you did not get the answers in this thread right. You need the complete CD to identify the CD and the get the right checksums for AccurateRip, but you don't have to rip all tracks. You can select and deselect the tracks as you like and only rip a subset of tracks with AccurateRip.

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You do not have to rip the whole CD to have tracks verified whilst ripping.
    Excuse any misunderstanding but doesn't this contradict what you said here? https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-CD-Track-Rips

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Hey dped91,

you did not get the answers in this thread right. You need the complete CD to identify the CD and the get the right checksums for AccurateRip, but you don't have to rip all tracks. You can select and deselect the tracks as you like and only rip a subset of tracks with AccurateRip. Dat Ei
    Could I also do that using this ripper? https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Administrator

When ripping the whole CD is there for AccurateRip to work even on single tracks. If you have already ripped 1 file and do not have the AccurateRip disc ID in the tags, it cannot be looked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    When ripping the whole CD is there for AccurateRip to work even on single tracks. If you have already ripped 1 file and do not have the AccurateRip disc ID in the tags, it cannot be looked up.
    I think that I partially understand what you’re saying. I’ve only just learned of the importance of using checksums and taking other measures to verify that a CD track was ripped and saved error free. But I know virtually nothing yet about how to run those tests or where to get what in the CD data, in Windows or elsewhere for doing so.

So far, these offer the most understandable but still incomplete explanations and uses of checksum testing. https://www.online-tech-tips.com/coo...t-is-checksum/
    https://www.howtogeek.com/363735/wha...ould-you-care/

I’ve been using https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ all along. Apparently, as you say, I was wrong about AccurateRip not being unable to confirm error free rips of single CD track rips. Therefore, I’ve been using EAC’s Secure Mode (instead of burst mode) which reads the track twice before ripping, however more bit perfect doing so will make the rip. I then always save to uncompressed WAV files.

In EAC, when I load a CD the AccurateRip log often comes on-even though it hasn’t been updated in over eight years. Then I select the track that I want to rip. Then I click to rip and it reads the track. Then, being in Secure Mode, I think it re-reads it.

When done EAC says what percentage of accuracy the rip had; usually it’s between 97 and 100%, however accurate and significant such reporting actually is.

But is using Secure Mode not necessary with AccurateRip?

And what’s the procedure for providing AccurateRip with the CD’s data?

And what are “tags”? Are they CRC numbers encoded on the CD for each of the tracks? And/or the TOC of the CD? Or metadata on the CD?

In EAC what do I need to do to let AccurateRip compare those numbers on the CD with those in its database?

And then how does AccurateRip tell me if the CD track rip is error free or not?

Also, if I click on EAC to download the latest AccurateRip update and then disconnect my computer from the internet and then rip a CD track can AccurateRip still work?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

It would not make sense to store accurate rip checksums per individual tracks because the same track (song) could be on 100 different CD's, and there could be 100 very minute differences on that one track/song across each of the 100 CD's.

Storing the checksum data with the CD data assures that your rip is compared to same track on the same CD.

dBpoweramp Guru

The procedure is that dBpoweramp like EAC reads the TOC (table of contents) of the CD, in which are some general informations like the number of tracks, their lenghts etc. pp. is stored. Those infos are mostly unique to an album and its concrete mastering and pressing. With whose infos dBpoweramp asks the AccurateRip database in the internet to identify this album.. If the album is stored in the Accurate database dBpoweramp will retrieve checksums for each track. If you now rip the album dBpoweramp will calculate a the checksum for your rip and compare it to the checksums retrieved by the database. If they match, your rip is an accurate rip, if not, the rip isn't an accurate rip, but it still can be ok, if your CD drive or dBpoweramp didn't find any errors. If the album is not stored in Accurate database, dBpoweramp tries to rerip the tracks several times and tries to check if those repeated reads are identical. If so, the read is secure and the rips are very likely ok. If the checksums differ from read to read, the rip isn't ok.

So you need the complete album to identify the album and to retrieve the right data drom the Accurate database, but you can rip a single track once the album with its tracks is identified.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dped91 View Post
    I've been using https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ all along ...
    This is the CD Ripper forum. Any questions regarding EAC ought to be posted in the EAC forum.
    Last edited by mville; 03-01-2021 at 09:42 AM.