title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Asset Digital Signature

Question Asset Digital Signature

I have used Asset for a number of years & recently updated my NAS to a QNAP TS453D.

I installed Asset 7.2 but now get regular advise that Asset has no digital signature.

It will start up OK but a day later it stops with a message it has an invalid digital signature.

Error 2021-02-16 07:50:02 System 127.0.0.1 App Center App Installation [App Center] Asset has an invalid digital signature. The app has stopped and cannot be installed on QTS. You can remove it in the App Center.

I can restart the app which then runs for 24hrs os so then stops again.

Is there a known solution please?

Administrator

Re: Asset Digital Signature

Update your qnap to the latest firmware.

Thank you for your suggestion.

The firmware is at version 4.5.2.1566 which is the most recent available, issued on 02/02/2021.

This update was installed before Asset on the new NAS.

All the security apps on the QNAP are up to date.

The previous log entry to the one in my first post was:

Error 2021-02-19 23:03:46 System 127.0.0.1 App Center App Installation [App Center] Asset has an invalid digital signature. The app has stopped and cannot be installed on QTS. You can remove it in the App Center.

In order to use Asset, I have to manually restart via the AppCenter which then works as normal for a day or so until the system stops it again!

It appears the latest version of QTS insists on having a current digital signature.

Any workaround solutions would be most welcome.

Super Moderator

We're sorry but these things are out of our control for now.

Our attempts to get in contact with QNAP last year to obtain a digital signature ended with no meaningful responses.

Also, last time all unsigned packages were rejected, QNAP support claimed that it was a result of a bug in the firmware.

If the problem persists, we'll try contacting QNAP again.

The App has closed again this morning.

Error 2021-02-22 07:50:04 System 127.0.0.1 App Center App Installation [App Center] Asset has an invalid digital signature. The app has stopped and cannot be installed on QTS. You can remove it in the App Center.

In the mean time it looks as though I will have to restart Asset manually when required.

Let's hope a future update to QTS will solve this issue.

I have raised this today as an issue with QNAP as Asset is not useable for more than a few hours.

Will post outcome when received.

From a user perspective I cannot tell if the problem lies with QNAP or the Asset software.

Comments welcome!

Reply from QNAP below.

Thanks for contacting QNAP support, from what I can see Asset was removed from the app center a long time ago. We are not able to help with the support of asset, I have had a look on their website the instructions for installation are at least 2 years old. We dont use the location that they advise anymore. I have had a look to see if there is anything on the 3rd party sites like QnapClub but there is nothing for Asset, I have also looked to see if you can run it in container station (if someone has made a docker for it) but there is not. Finally my only other thought would be to see if you can run it in Linux station or as a virtual machine. But again none of that I can help with the support of, it's something that you would need to look into further.

It seems it is down to Illustrate to resolve this issue for use of Asset on recent QNAP NAS drives.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the details. I will complain back at QNAP again.

I just installed firmware 4.5.2.1566 (2021/02/02) on my TS-251p, no sign of Asset being stopped yet.

This is the strangest scheme of enforcing digital signatures I've seen yet. Actual malware would have plenty of time to replicate and bury itself outside of the QPKG which will apparently be stopped later?

Question for PeterP.
    Is Asset still running on your TS-251p?
    In my case, the QNAP TS-453D was updated to the latest NAS firmware before installing Asset.
    I wonder if you had Asset installed before updating the NAS firmware?
    The problem of Asset being stopped periodically still continues on the TS-453D but runs normally on my TS- 212

Super Moderator

Firmware: 4.5.2.1594
    Asset R7.2 was installed prior to last firmware update, continued to work after firmware update. I just removed it and installed again, it still works.

Administrator

Check your date and time are correct on the nas.

Solved!

Yes the date & time are both correct.

Yesterday I removed & reinstalled Asset.

In the process I found that in the QNAP AppCenter - General Settings - 'Allow installation of applications without a valid digital signature' box had become unticked. (possibly automatically after a reboot?)

Having reset that & reinstalled Asset, the app has run fine without being stopped.

Thanks for all your patience & advice.