title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Errors on alternate takes - were they unreadable or just not verifiable?

Errors on alternate takes - were they unreadable or just not verifiable?

I'm ripping a CD collection and after a few dozen discs with not a single error I hit a snag. Four alternate takes, the first four non-previously published tracks either could not be verified or had read errors. The first one rescanned many times before I hit skip track. The next three were the same, so I skipped them quickly. The final two (after the four problem tracks) scanned just fine and were verified accurate. So the question is, were the tracks unreadable or were they just not found in the database to be verified as accurate? The CD appears to be in excellent condition, not even a fingerprint, but there is a concentric circle and I can't tell if that's a defect or not (doesn't appear as such). The four tracks play in the CD player just fine, no skipping or anything that sounds wrong. So how should I handle this? Turn off the error checking and if they sound okay let it go? BTW, the CD is "From The Hot Afternoon" by Paul Desmond... in case anyone has the same issue.

Administrator

Re: Errors on alternate takes - were they unreadable or just not verifiable?

If it is taking an extra long time to read the disc, then the issue is with the disc.

Re: Errors on alternate takes - were they unreadable or just not verifiable?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If it is taking an extra long time to read the disc, then the issue is with the disc.
    Thanks, yes it keeps rereading, attempting to correct errors I presume.

So what I have done (with a second CD now as well) is skip the track, then when it's finished I switch to "defective by design" and rip the track that had the issue. The software places it in the correct folder and I listen to the track via the computer (Quicktime) and if I can't hear anything wrong I accept it and move on. It's nice to know that 99 percent of my music ripped without errors, but practically speaking I don't think I need this ultra level error detection. If it's inaudible, it's good enough for my purposes.

I love the application. It does a great job automating the task as much as possible while allowing customization.