title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Genre duplication issue in CD ripper (Alternative Rock)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Genre duplication issue in CD ripper (Alternative Rock)

When I do large CD ripping projects I also use Foobar2000 to monitor the Genre categories to make sure the ripped CD's are in the correct genre category. I've noticed that for some reason I get two Alternative Rock genre listings, one shows the largest amount of discs that I've ripped in the past and lately this second Alternative Rock is showing up in Foobar when I select Alternative Rock from the Genre drop down in CD ripper.

I've tried copying and pasting "Alternative Rock" from the CD files that are in the "correct" category into CD rippers genre drop down and I've tried editing the genre list by also pasting what I thought was the correct Alternative Rock tag but it doesn't stop the second category from appearing on recently ripped CD's.

Oddly, I pasted Alternative Rock into Batch Converters ID Tag DSP option and it works to combine the newly ripped discs into the Alternative Rock category.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening with that genre and how to correct it?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by sjc; 02-19-2021 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add screenshot

Administrator

Re: Genre duplication issue in CD ripper (Alternative Rock)

Perhaps is a bug in foobar?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. The strange thing is Batch Converter fixes the issue and combines the newly ripped Alt Rock CD's into the main Alt Rock genre in Foobar2000. Is there another method to monitor the genres, I like Foobar because it is a simple list of genre categories that I can easily see if a duplicate or different genre was created by mistake during ripping. Or is there a way to modify the genre list from Foobar, I've been modifying the genre list by typing %appdata% into File Explorer as you mentioned to me years ago. I'm on the latest stable version of Foobar and my dBpoweramp product.

Also could you please tell me how to delete the "Style" category box that shows up in far right of the CD Ripper window. It is often incorrect and I end up having to delete that info before ripping.

Thanks again, I appreciate the assistance.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sjc View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The strange thing is Batch Converter fixes the issue and combines the newly ripped Alt Rock CD's into the main Alt Rock genre in Foobar2000. Is there another method to monitor the genres, I like Foobar because it is a simple list of genre categories that I can easily see if a duplicate or different genre was created by mistake during ripping. Or is there a way to modify the genre list from Foobar, I've been modifying the genre list by typing %appdata% into File Explorer as you mentioned to me years ago. I'm on the latest stable version of Foobar and my dBpoweramp product.

Also could you please tell me how to delete the "Style" category box that shows up in far right of the CD Ripper window. It is often incorrect and I end up having to delete that info before ripping.

Thanks again, I appreciate the assistance.

Untick the "style" item in the "CD RIPPER OPTIONS" > TAGS AND FILENAMES > METADATA and ID TAG (option button)
    Then style won't be written to the tags. I agree, it is often wildly wrong!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, I do have the Sytle box unchecked in the CD ripper options, apparently that doesn't remove the Style box in the actual CD ripper window and it still populates with information but it must be that it is just not writing that data to the ID tags for that rip. I'll have to check.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yep, without being ticked, it's not writing that tag. So you can ignore on the CD ripper window.