title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Correct Naming Structure

Correct Naming Structure

Using Perfect Tunes to correctly set metadata on collection approx 30k songs.

Having difficulty with sort tag in particular.
    I use name, example: Elvis Presley Artist Sort, Presley, Elvis Works fine. Where I have problems is when there are two artists, example: Elton John; Kiki Dee Artist Sort, John, Elton; Dee, Kiki
    The first artist is displayed correctly as Elton John, and can be searched for in ‘J’ (surname) The second artist is displayed correct as Kiki Dee, but when you search in ‘D’ (surname)is not there but is in ‘k’. (Forename)

I have created a separate instance of Perfect tunes through another username account and created a folder with a small number of files rather than having to re-scan my main music collection.
    I have included a ‘child’ of root folder as contributing artist. The second named artist appears in this folder but not in alphabetical order.
    Tried various permutations in naming structure, semi colon; forward slash/ back slash\ all with no success.

Would appreciate what the correct naming structure should be.

What I am after is All artists appearing in ‘Artist’ in alphabetical (Surname) order. All contributing artists in ‘Contributing Artist’ in alphabetical (Surname) order.

Administrator

Re: Correct Naming Structure

No program I am aware of will use multiple artists from the artist sort tag.

Confused! Artist name (Elton John) Artist sort (John, Elton) appears in sort under ‘J’ - Correct.
    Artist name (Elton John; Kiki Dee) Artist sort (John, Elton; Dee, Kiki) Appears in sort under ‘J’ - (John, Elton) - correct and in ‘D’ (Kiki Dee) - incorrect (should appear under ‘D’ (Dee, Kiki)
    Is there no way to achieve this using artist sort in Perfect Tunes?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by IdrisRoberts; 02-21-2021 at 02:36 PM.

Administrator

Your player which is doing the sorting will not take the 2nd value from Artist sort, nothing will as far as I am aware. PerfectTUNES can write the tag like that, does not mean your player is using it. PerfectTUNES its self will not take the 2nd value either in a sort tag.

dBpoweramp Guru

What player are you using?

Naim ND5 streamer. Music is stored on an assetnas unit, saved in flac format.
    CD’s ripped using DB Poweramp to name and convert to flac.
    Other music , Analogue, off LP’s and old reel to reel tapes and cassettes, copied using audacity and converted to flac as per CD’s.
    I use mp3tag editor for general naming as it handles large quantities of files easily.
    Last edited by IdrisRoberts; 02-23-2021 at 04:14 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by IdrisRoberts View Post
    Naim ND5 streamer. Music is stored on an assetnas unit, saved in flac format.
    CD's ripped using DB Poweramp to name and convert to flac.
    Other music , Analogue, off LP's and old reel to reel tapes and cassettes, copied using audacity and converted to flac as per CD's.
    I use mp3tag editor for general naming as it handles large quantities of files easily.
    After you edited the artist sort tags, did you try the Refresh All option in Asset configuration?

Yes I have cleared the database cache and rescanned (Takes some time!)
    I am busy checking to see if I have entered the correct format (;) in between two or more artists.
    Mp3Tag program uses \\ instead of ; for flac files, so there maybe some discrepancies there.
    Thanks for your help

dBpoweramp Guru

'; ' and '\\' only represent the delimiter for the multivalue tags in the user interface. The way the tags are stored is identical.

Dat Ei