title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Best Practice for Managing Work & Movement Classical Tags?

Best Practice for Managing Work & Movement Classical Tags?

I have about 500 lossless classical albums and with Asset R7 support for iTunes classical tags have been looking at the best way to update my library ... but with little success.

Using dbpoweramp as a reference tagger, if I add work, movement & movement number tags to a test album (FLAC), Asset navigates to the work as expected. So far so good. But this is very time consuming and not practical for 500 odd albums.

My library manager MediaMonkey does not support these tags so that was a dead end.

Tried to use Jaikoz; that supports the functionality but the tags are incompatible (other than "work") with Asset.

Same with SongKong as expected as it is from the same publisher as Jaikoz.

Tried to use MusicBee but again the tags were incompatible other than the "work" tag.

Tried to use PerfectTunes and this was particularly frustrating because in the Edit View I could not actually select the Work, Movement & Movement Number tags to display as columns. So the behaviour defaults to that of dbpoweramp's very basic metadata editor.

Helium? Never tried it but any advice?

Any advice would be very welcome otherwise I will abandon any thoughts of using these tags. Just too time consuming.

Re: Best Practice for Managing Work & Movement Classical Tags?

Hi,
    I also tried to use the WORK, MOVEMENT, MOVEMENTNAME and MOVEMENTTOTAL tags, with MP3TAG.

But so far, only the WORK tags seems to be supported.

I can browse by composer / Work.

The trouble is, when I drill into a specific work, I get all the different tracks related to this work unordered.

I expected this list to be ordered by artist / album at least ....

Administrator

Try ripping a CD in dBpoweramp and set the work mode and fill in Movement, etc. To ensure they are the same tags as mp3tag.

Thanks for the hint.

The correct tags are the following ones:
    MOVEMENT NUMBER
    MOVEMENT NAME
    MOVEMENT COUNT

When correctly filled in, they are used in the "composer / work"
    But the "composer / work" browse features is not usable for me.

for example, I have around 10 differents interpretations of Beethoven's 9th Symphonie , each with the same WORK tag.

But when I browse the "composer / work" to Beethoven -> "Symphonie n° 9, Op. 125", all tracks of the different interprations are listed without any particular order : it's impossible to sélect one one of them to hear, for example, Karl Bohm version of 1981.

Is it possible to have a listed sorted by an album artist / album / year / movement number ?

Administrator

You can add these to the browse tree if required. Edit the browse tree and add the ones you want.

I've started customizing it. It seems to be a nice feature !

I will let you know which browse tree fits my needs ...