title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How to maintain folder structure for converted files

How to maintain folder structure for converted files

I'm evaluating the batch conversion program which I'd like to use to convert my 12,000 files from wma format to flac. The wma files are in folders representing the albums and those folders are subdirectories of other folders that are the artists name. So, there are hundreds of artist folders, some with just a single album subdirectory, and some with a dozen subdirectories. What I want to do is to duplicate that directory structure with all files converted from wma to flac. I see that I can direct the converted files to the source directory, but then I end up with each subdirectory containing both the wma and flac versions of the files. I need to be able to accomplish this in a batch mode and not have to specify the exact name of the output directory for each subdirectory being converted. Is there a way to do that? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Administrator

Re: How to maintain folder structure for converted files

The easiest way is to use naming such as:

Work\[origpath]\[origfilename]

This will put everything under a new folder 'Work' so you can move them where ever you want to, leaving the source files untouched and separate.

Use Batch Converter and put a tick mark in the root of your music folder, all the files will be converted in one go.

Could the Admin expand on this answer with more detail? I am also trying to figure out how to convert my entire iTunes directory structure to a new destination folder while maintaining original files/folders. How is this done, in detail please?

Administrator

On the converting to page (where the encoder is chosen), in the 'Output to' section click the drop box and choose:

Preserve source path

then choose where you would like it all to go.