title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Naming Problems in 17.3

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Dynamic Naming Problems in 17.3

I've used the following naming convention for years with no issues:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[year] - [album][IFMULTI] - [disc_total] CD[]\FLAC\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc][]\[track] - [artist] - [title][]\[IF!COMP][artist]\[year] - [album][IFMULTI] - [disc_total] CD[]\FLAC\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]

The dynamic naming field is correct, and the example it provides base on the dynamic naming is also correct.

However, on actual rip, it is not working correctly. It is creating a folder for each song.

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

See attached screenshots.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Dynamic Naming Problems in 17.3

FYI - the problem is for compilations only. Non compilations work OK.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by husker View Post
    FYI - the problem is for compilations only. Non compilations work OK.
    try this. Your part of the string for a compilation also included creating a subdirectory if the ARTIST or ALBUM artist tag was filled in. That created a new folder for each track artist. I've fixed that but moved that part of the code to the noncompilations so it will use ALBUM ARTIST if it exists, otherwise it will use ARTIST. For some reason, there is an underline at the very end of the file name with your code (and mine) and can't figure out why. Typically that's when an extra space is at the end of the string, but that's not the case here.

[IFCOMP]\Various Artists\[year] - [album][IFMULTI] - [disc_total] CD[]\FLAC\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc][]\[track] - [artist] - [title][]\[IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[year] - [album][IFMULTI] - [disc_total] CD[]\FLAC\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]
    Last edited by garym; 02-07-2021 at 04:10 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    try this. Your part of the string for a compilation also included creating a subdirectory if the ARTIST or ALBUM artist tag was filled in. That created a new folder for each track artist. I've fixed that but moved that part of the code to the noncompilations so it will use ALBUM ARTIST if it exists, otherwise it will use ARTIST. For some reason, there is an underline at the very end of the file name with your code (and mine) and can't figure out why. Typically that's when an extra space is at the end of the string, but that's not the case here.

[IFCOMP]\Various Artists\[year] - [album][IFMULTI] - [disc_total] CD[]\FLAC\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc][]\[track] - [artist] - [title][]\[IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[year] - [album][IFMULTI] - [disc_total] CD[]\FLAC\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]

was an extra space. use this and make sure no space or line return at very end after pasting in:

Last edited by garym; 02-07-2021 at 04:10 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

was an extra space. use this and make sure no space or line return at very end after pasting in:

Appreciate your help Gary, but no go. Same issue. I thought it may be a multiencoder issue again, so I just chose Flac. Even the filename column shows incorrectly. I'm sure there is no space or return after the trailing "]"

Any more ideas? I'm really confused, as I've used this naming for years.

dBpoweramp Guru

Appreciate your help Gary, but no go. Same issue. I thought it may be a multiencoder issue again, so I just chose Flac. Even the filename column shows incorrectly. I'm sure there is no space or return after the trailing "]"

Any more ideas? I'm really confused, as I've used this naming for years.
    odd. testing on my machine the naming string works. But I'm not using multiencoder. In multiencoder you have to set the naming string for each encoder in separate places (from what I read).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

odd. testing on my machine the naming string works. But I'm not using multiencoder. In multiencoder you have to set the naming string for each encoder in separate places (from what I read).
    I set up just a single Flac encoder. Do you see anything here?

Flac.JPG

dBpoweramp Guru

I set up just a single Flac encoder. Do you see anything here?

Flac.JPG
    click the "compilation" box on the settings screen then post that jpg. And then click both compilation box and mulidisk box and post that jpg too.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

click the "compilation" box on the settings screen then post that jpg. And then click both compilation box and mulidisk box and post that jpg too.
    Flac2.JPGFlac3.JPG

Thank you for your help Gary.

dBpoweramp Guru

The "examples" (results of applying naming string") on each of these is correct. You said it was only not working on compilations, correct? But yet, the example shows it being handled correctly, with the compilations showing up in a "Various Artist" folder (rather than an album artist or artist folder). Maybe step back to the beginning and provide another clear example of what it is incorrectly doing for your compilations. I thought it was putting each track in a different artist folder (and in fact, the naming string you posted would have produced that outcome).

Another thing you could do is put a compilation CD in your ripper, then click on the "current CD metadata" in the naming screen and post that.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

The "examples" (results of applying naming string") on each of these is correct. You said it was only not working on compilations, correct? But yet, the example shows it being handled correctly, with the compilations showing up in a "Various Artist" folder (rather than an album artist or artist folder). Maybe step back to the beginning and provide another clear example of what it is incorrectly doing for your compilations. I thought it was putting each track in a different artist folder (and in fact, the naming string you posted would have produced that outcome).

Another thing you could do is put a compilation CD in your ripper, then click on the "current CD metadata" in the naming screen and post that.
    This should make it more clear.

Flac4.JPG

What is odd is the example screen shows correctly, but the file naming clearly isn't. And correct, it is only NOT working on compilations.

dBpoweramp Guru

Flac4.JPG

What is odd is the example screen shows correctly, but the file naming clearly isn't. And correct, it is only NOT working on compilations.
    strange. it seems to be working correctly regarding putting things in the "various artists" folder, except this shows it is adding a separate "flac" directory at the very end. Or is it adding "\flac" as part of the file name itself.

dBpoweramp Guru

Flac4.JPG

You still haven't done this: Another thing you could do is put a compilation CD in your ripper, then WITHIN THE SET NAMING OPTIONS click on the "current CD metadata" in the naming screen and post that.

dBpoweramp Guru

seems like the "\flac" at end of file name should be ".flac" (the file extension for file type). Do these oddly named FLAC files play in your player????

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

seems like the "\flac" at end of file name should be ".flac" (the file extension for file type). Do these oddly named FLAC files play in your player????
    No, it doesn't. I'm convinced DBPoweramp isn't doing something correctly. It is creating a folder for each song, and dumping a file named "flac" in the folder. See here:

Flac5.JPGFlac6.JPG

I think the mask is correct - it shows correctly in the example. But, as you can see from the filename column in the previous post (as well as the pictures above), it isn't actually processing it correctly.