title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Error Message “ Unable to read CD, check CD disc” for each track

Error Message “ Unable to read CD, check CD disc” for each track

Hello all,

I’m new on this forum, my name is John.

I have just started to use dBpoweramp. I tried to rip some of my CDs. I get an error message on every track on 4 different CDs (see below). They are clean CDs. ITunes can play and rip the CDs without any problems.

The error message is:
    “Error converting to FLAC, ‘Track .....
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA nnnnn ripping 26 frames track end LBA nnnnn ) [rip]

This error is repeated for each track on the cd.

I have tried:
    changing Ripping Method: Burst and Secure
    ripping speed max and x1
    spin up time none, 1 seconds, 8 seconds
    deinstalling dBpoweramp and installing it again

No improvement.

I have MacBook Pro 2018, with macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    I just bought a Verbatim USB-C DVD-Writer that shows up in the system as [Slimtype - DVD A DU8AESH]
    I use dBpoweramp Release 17.4 (1), the Trail Version.
    Ripping to FLAC, Level 5.

I furthermore tried the DVD writer on a windows notebook, using dBpoweramp (same release) on Win7, same CD. The DVD-writer works fine, I can rip in burst and secure mode.

Any ideas how to solve this?

These are the error messages on macOS:

Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 1' to '/Users/a-john/Documents/CDs-ripped/Earth, Wind & Fire/I Am/01 Earth, Wind & Fire - In The Stone.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 0 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 21615) [Rip]
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 2' to '/Users/a-john/Documents/CDs-ripped/Earth, Wind & Fire/I Am/02 Earth, Wind & Fire - Can't Let Go.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 21615 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 37297) [Rip]

Same error on all other tracks

John

Re: Error Message “ Unable to read CD, check CD disc” for each track

Hi,

Maybe this debug info helps:

->-> [ReaddBCommandFile]
    <-<- [ReaddBCommandFile]
    Command-line:
    -infile="-" -outfile="/Users/a-john/Documents/CDs-ripped/Flairck/Alive/01 Flairck - De Houten Bruiloft-The Wooden Wedding._" -convert_to="FLAC" -evtquit="dbevt-cancel-2115413492" -evtafterconvseterror="dbevt-afterconvseterror-2115413492" -application="CD Ripper" -batchid="2115413490" -processor="1" -sourcefreq="44100" -sourcebits="16" -sourcechannels="2" -sourcelength="327026" -shrbytesencoded="dbshr-bytesenc-2115413492" -idtags="/var/folders/sh/bhz_fp19609_qb_445x7wgc00000gn/T/dBpoweramp-Music-Converter-temp/dTTXTempFile-502-15.tmp" -fntousefortagloaddec="/Users/a-john/Documents/CDs-ripped/Flairck/Alive/01 Flairck - De Houten Bruiloft-The Wooden Wedding.flac" -compression-level-5
    Processor affinity not supported
    ->-> [LoadEncoder]
    <-<- [LoadEncoder]
    CallingApplication [Set]
    BatchID [Set]
    ->-> [StripCoreConverterCmds]
    <-<- [StripCoreConverterCmds]
    SendRawUnCompressed [Get]
    Communicate [Get]
    ->-> [OpenDecoder]
    Reading StdIn Tmp File IDTags: Read
    Using StdInput WFX:Format Tag: 1 Channels: 2 Bits per Sample: 16 Samples Per Second: 44100 Bytes Per Second: 176400 Block Align: 4 CB Size: 0
    <-<- [OpenDecoder]
    SendOverReplayGainTags [Get]
    ->-> [BeginConversion]
    Converting to '/Users/a-john/Documents/CDs-ripped/Flairck/Alive/01 Flairck - De Houten Bruiloft-The Wooden Wedding._' encoder settings ' -compression-level-5'
    FLAC Compression Level: 5
    <-<- [BeginConversion]
    Communicate [Get]
    Encoding To: FLAC
    Encoder Cmd Line: -compression-level-5
    ============= CONVERSION BEGIN =============
    Reading from stdin... [DecodeAudioBlock]
    Read from stdin: 0 bytes [DecodeAudioBlock]
    ============= CONVERSION END =============
    Communicate [Get]
    ->-> [CloseDecoder]
    ->-> [CloseDecoder]
    <-<- [CloseDecoder]
    ->-> [EndConversion]
    <-<- [EndConversion]
    File Size Check : 280152 bytes Filename: /Users/a-john/Documents/CDs-ripped/Flairck/Alive/01 Flairck - De Houten Bruiloft-The Wooden Wedding._
    File Size Check (before ID Tags Written): 280152 bytes Filename: /Users/a-john/Documents/CDs-ripped/Flairck/Alive/01 Flairck - De Houten Bruiloft-The Wooden Wedding._
    ->-> [IDTagWriter]
    Decodes [Get]
    Decodes [Get]
    Decodes [Get]
    Decodes [Get]
    Decodes [Get]
    Writing tags...
    IDTags [Set]
    ->-> [WriteIDTags]
    Opening file '/Users/a-john/Documents/CDs-ripped/Flairck/Alive/01 Flairck - De Houten Bruiloft-The Wooden Wedding._' for write access: Opened
    ->-> [Open]
    Opening file '/Users/a-john/Documents/CDs-ripped/Flairck/Alive/01 Flairck - De Houten Bruiloft-The Wooden Wedding._' for read access: Opened
    Init FLAC:
    Reading Meta Data:
    contained 0 tags:
    ->-> [ReadIDTags]
    <-<- [ReadIDTags]
    <-<- [Open]
    ->-> [Close]
    <-<- [Close]
    <-<- [WriteIDTags]
    ... writing tags succeeded
    <-<- [IDTagWriter]
    ->-> [Close]
    <-<- [Close]
    Communicate [Get]
    Conversion completed in 645 mili-seconds x507 realtime encoding
    File Size Check (core converter exit): 280152 bytes Filename: /Users/a-john/Documents/CDs-ripped/Flairck/Alive/01 Flairck - De Houten Bruiloft-The Wooden Wedding._

Hi you all,

Found the cause and solved the problem :-)

The DVD writer has a USB-C connector. The drive is connected to the computer, using a USB-C to USB-A cable, which was supplied with the drive. To connect the USB-A side of the cable to the MacBook, I used the USB-A to USB-C adapter, which was supplied with the drive too.

On the Windows PC, I did not need to use this USB-A to USB-C adapter, since it has USB-A inputs. There ripping went well.

After I started using a standard USB-C cable, ripping worked on my MacBook too.

John

dBpoweramp Guru

good to know. thanks for reporting back.

You are welcome.

Would be nice to understand why dBpoweramp was able to read something (the track names were visible), however it was not able to rip, although iTunes could play and rip the cd.
    Do we have an explanation?

Just curious :-)

dBpoweramp Guru

iTunes has no real error detection and error handling.

Dat Ei