title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: 8 Core Processor, but 16 Core Processing...and Screen Flickering?

8 Core Processor, but 16 Core Processing...and Screen Flickering?

Hello, I have two questions about dbPoweramp's audio converter.

I just got a new computer about a month ago. The processor has eight cores. I decided to install the trial version of dbPoweramp, and try out the audio converter.
    Using the Batch Converter, I converted about 100 files or so. Here are my two questions:

1) Although I have an eight-core processor, dbPoweramp is displaying 16 cores being used. I'm not exactly sure how that works. Is the program capable of splitting threads or tasks?

2) When the audio conversion is in process, the dbPoweramp screen flickers. It stops flickering when the processing is nearly completed. The processing works properly; I tested several of the converted mp3 files, and they sound fine. I was just wondering what's causing the flickering, if anyone knows.

16 Core db.jpg
    That's all. Thank you. T. Hulot

Administrator

Re: 8 Core Processor, but 16 Core Processing...and Screen Flickering?

Your processor will have 8 cores and 8 virtual cores, called hyper threading. You can use the dap effect &*8220;cpu count&*8221; to force a lessor usage of cpu cores.

About the flickering, click the options button on the converting page and set the priority to below normal.

dBpoweramp Guru

yep, my 8 core machine uses 16 cores when converting too!

Thank you for replying. Apparently, my processor and computer support hyper threading.

I reset the option to Below Normal, and it still flickers, though not as bad. It's annoying, but if it's harmless, I suppose I could get used to it. Thank you for the information.

Administrator

You could try the Idle option and see if that helps.

Also look at updating your graphics card driver, perhaps from the manufacturer direct, or if already using that try the default microsoft one by uninstalling it.