title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: WAV/FLAC -> DSD and Roon Dynamic Range

WAV/FLAC -> DSD and Roon Dynamic Range

Hi,

New dbPoweramp user here. I purchased/downloaded last night and batch converted all my FLAC and WAV files to DSD128 and noticed that Roon's Dynamic Range value went up, down or stayed the same depending on the album. I'm curious to understand why this might be -- and what the implications are for the sound. Please see attached screenshots.

Screenshot_20210125-231947.jpgScreenshot_20210125-231923.jpgScreenshot_20210125-231906.jpg

For context, the reason I wanted to convert everything to DSD128 is because my DAC supports it natively and I'm making an assumption that dbPoweramp's DSD rendering is better than WAV/FLAC. I'd also be interested in learning what is supposed to make dbPoweramp DSD superior.

Thanks

Administrator

Re: WAV/FLAC -> DSD and Roon Dynamic Range

The dynamic range has increased in all your screenshots, this is because the conversion to 1 bit is based on the frequency domain, so there are likely to be detectable quieter parts based on the increased resolution DSD offers, but that does not mean the audio has gained an increased resolution, as it was 16 bit to begin with.

Re: WAV/FLAC -> DSD and Roon Dynamic Range

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The dynamic range has increased in all your screenshots, this is because the conversion to 1 bit is based on the frequency domain, so there are likely to be detectable quieter parts based on the increased resolution DSD offers, but that does not mean the audio has gained an increased resolution, as it was 16 bit to begin with.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Two of them went up, one went down. Is it possible to test different conversion configurations to see if the DR could change and/or apply different configurations based on music genre?