title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Force only ascii (single byte 1-127) characters in filenames and tags

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RogerW
    • Jan 2021

Force only ascii (single byte 1-127) characters in filenames and tags

Hello -

I'm just starting out with dbpa and I have a cd with non-ascii characters in album and track titles. I want everything to be plain ascii so it is consistent to search on.

Is there a way to do this in dppa? I haven't been able to find a setting to do this.

Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Force only ascii (single byte 1-127) characters in filenames and tags

Sorry no option, there is no easy conversion, if you had non-ascii chars it they would likely convert to '?' which is not that useful.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RogerW
      • Jan 2021

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like I'll write a utility to convert the obvious things (remove accent marks, etc) and then do the rest by hand.

Comment

• schmidj
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2013

You might find something in this thread useful:

Comment

• RogerW
          • Jan 2021

Thanks for the link.

I can start off with the common letters and add to the list as I come across new ones.

This is only an issue with some classical cd's that have album and track names in non-English languages.

It should make searching easier since I'd never remember which letters had accents and I can use the standard plain letters.

Comment

• brandonjp
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by RogerW
            I can start off with the common letters and add to the list as I come across new ones.
            This is only an issue with some classical cd's that have album and track names in non-English languages.
            I've had a huge problem with a variety of diacritics / accent marks in filenames. So I created a full set of character replacements. This won't affect content inside tags, but can help with actual filenames.

Here's the forum post about it: https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...159*post204159

Here's the separate instructions page: https://gist.github.com/brandonjp/44...d0700aeef3cb3d

Comment

• RogerW
              • Jan 2021

Thanks for the info (sorry for the late reply).

I wound up writing a program to process the flac files and remove all accent marks and other 'combining characters'.

It was some work but doesn't need a table and catches everything that's not a plain letter.

Comment

Working...

]]>