title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: WEBM to FLAC

WEBM to FLAC

Hello,

Isn't there an option for dbpoweramp that allows to convert from webm (as a container for audio not video), to FLAC?

I did found several free online converters and I also found this program that is completly free <edited>, but since I recently purchased the dbpoweramp R17 reference I rather prefer not to install other programs or use other services.

Please advise.

Regards.
    Last edited by Spoon; 01-17-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Administrator

Re: WEBM to FLAC

Webm is a video format, you would need 'dBpoweramp Video Converter' to extract the audio component to FLAC

(please note I have removed the link to a competing program from your post, this forum is for dBpoweramp)

Thanks for your response,

WEBM is a container, it could be for video and audio and also for video only or for audio only with no video at all and that's the case with the files I have, specifically a container for opus. My intention posting the link to the other software was not to "advertise" a competitor but to demonstrate that there are free alternatives that converts from WEBM to FLAC and those programs cannot handle video, only audio. As I said I already have that other software that converts from webm (audio only), to flac and it is completely free but I prefer to use dbpoweramp, since I've been using it for years and I will like to use one single audio converter. For video I already have my preferred video conversion software.

Please consider to include a converter for WEBM (audio only).

Regards.
    Last edited by 3d1l; 01-18-2021 at 07:28 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

You should probably add a post over at the wishlist forum in order to document this request in the place where the developers look in the future.
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/forumdi...hp?12-Wishlist

Garym thanks.

Ok learned something new today, I wanted to convert the WEBM (audio), file to FLAC for the wrong reasons. I was looking for an audio format supported by Rockbox and I didn't wanted to re-encode the audio with a loosy encoder. But WEBM is a subset of Matroska, again a container. All I have to do is to DEMUX the WEBM file extracting the audio file as it is and for that I found that I can use two open source utilities (Spoon don't worry I won't give the names). Anyways I stand correct in terms of what I said about conversion, as an audio conversion utility dbpoweramp should be capable to convert WEBM (audio) to other audio formats. Or even better, demux the file if the original format and bitrate that is contained in the WEBM file is selected, like opus or OGG Vorbis. So I will follow garym's suggestion.