title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Sending info TO Discogs (collections)

Sending info TO Discogs (collections)

Hello! Brand new user and loving it! Apologies if covered, but I couldn't seem to find any info on this...

Is it possible to send the info of your successfully ripped cd TO your personal collection listing in Discogs?

Thanks!

Administrator

Re: Sending info TO Discogs (collections)

Sorry no.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Sorry no.
    All good! It does so many things, one starts to get spoiled, and assuming it might do anything you need! I think I have sorted out another system for making this happen fairly efficiently.

Thanks for the reply.

Could you share 'your system'? Others might be interested in how to easily send CD List to their Discog's Collection.
    Thanks!

Well, I wasn't asking about sending a list of recordings, was interested in the export of the info in the process of ripping each disc. So, while the disc is being ripped I use the Discogs app to scan the UPC code on the case then add it to my collection. A little more work needed if there's no UPC code, but it's not too bad.

Question Re: Sending info TO Discogs (collections)

1) So, what INFO are you wanting? A UPC scanned gives you all the info Discogs needs to 'list' your cds in your 'Collection'. Correct?

2) What is the 'process' you use that works 'fairly efficiently'. Other dBpoweramp/Discogs users might like 'your fix' - or even offer a better one. I think I have one.

~rkk

Hmm.... my apologies, if I wasn't clear. My OP was inquiring as to the ability, when using CD ripper, for the information to automatically be send to my collection list on Discogs. Admittedly, this was just an attempt at being a bit lazy! So yes, scanning the UPC does give me the info I need.... and that IS my process. It is indeed a fairly efficient one. While the disc is being ripped, I scan the UPC and be sure I have the correct version, then I add it to my collection.

...and, sure.... if anyone has a way for that info to be sent there automatically, I'd be interested in knowing how. Though, at this point, it's working ok for me as it is.

Sounds like your idea of scanning the UPC would be easiest to get data/cdinfo to Discogs Collection List or 'For Sale' list. IF you have a large quantity to manually enter, could you use the DSP Effects & Option "Read/Write Metadata File" ?

IF you do not have any CD info (like UPC etc), I was going to suggest you just copy the UPC from the dBpoweramp UPC tag provided off the disc(displayed before encoding)? Then, paste into Discogs which autoMagically populates your Discogs 'Collection' CD info.

I use Discogs mainly to purchase CDs. So, have not used their entry/scanner system (nor uploaded list of my collection - but may IF we decide to sell.) I also use Discogs a lot while using dBpoweramp to verify some CD data - to find out (as you say) what year/version, UPC, Label(s) Name, Label(s) no.s) and I enter these manually as-I-go. Many times UPC, Label, & Label No. are already provided by:
    A) the disc itself or B)one of the Free DBs supplying dBpoweramp with CD data. And, as you know, displays in 'TAGs' before encoding.

Gotta Love It!

* To more automate Discogs entry of UPC or Medadata Info WITHOUT UPC scanning - I'm wondering IF one could use the DSP Effects & Option "Read/Write Metadata File" which (read or write metadata to or from XML file)?
    You would then have all the metadata of discs you have entered, and could pull all UPCs (or whatever) from that list using an API to process - send a list of UPCs (and/or other metadata) of all discs ripped in dBpoweramp (daily/weekly/monthly). Depending on Discogs dbase ability/entry/upload - you might be able to use the XML file with the DSP noted above to create a comma-delimited file [comma-separated values (CSV)] which would more automate the process for you.

It all depends on what Discogs allows - it looks like dBpoweramp WOULD easily give you a list of UPCs to autoMagically populate Discogs dbase of your 'Collection'.

IF you determine Discogs' ability to accept comma delimited files to populate your 'Collection' please let us know. I'm sure SOMEONE would find that info a life-saver.