title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Square brackets in target name causing problems

Square brackets in target name causing problems

Hi there, I'm in the process of changing my naming convention for files stored on my computer and the new format has the album artist or the artist in square brackets at the end of the file name.

I can't quite make this work within CD Ripper though and would appreciate any wise words.

What I currently have is:
    [album]\[track] [IFVALUE]composer,[composer] - ,[][title][IFVALUE]album artist, [[album artist]], [[artist]][]

This is fine if there is an album artist, but if there isn't then it puts a "[]" at the end of the filename.

I think the first [[ pair is escaping the IFVALUE logic.

I was wondering if there was something like <leftsquarebracket_> that I could use in a similar fashion too <comma_>.

Thanks for your help ... Peter

Re: Square brackets in target name causing problems

Well, after realising how old my version is, I have upgraded which has inevitably changed the behaviour quite a lot!
    My biggest problem now is that the extension is missing from the files - i.e. "abc._" as opposed to "abc.flac"

Sorry all, I'm being a dumbass - it seems that the extension is not applied until the rip is complete. Problem solved.
    Cheers ... Peter

Hello all, well it seems like I'm having a conversation with myself here!! Anyway, the initial problem with the square brackets is still there. Here are some screen shots showing my formula working on most rips, but then not working (i.e. ending the filename with []) on a specific rip, then showing the simple edit needed to make it work on that CD and then showing that that edit screws everything up on other rips.
    Naming screen - showing my formula making normal naming correct.jpg
    Naming screen - showing my formula making specific naming incorrect.jpg
    Naming screen - showing edits making specific naming correct.jpg
    Naming screen - showing edits making normal naming incorrect.jpg
    As I said in my original post, I think a solution would be the square bracket equivalent to <comma_> if such a thing exists.
    Thanks for reading... Peter

dBpoweramp Guru

I don't have an answer, but I see the problem. Anything inside brackets ("[anything]") is likely treated as a reference to a tag because of the way the dynamic naming code works. What if you enter like the following so the brackets are treated not as part of the code:

"["[artist]"]"

or

'['[artist]']'

I think both "[" and '[' result in '[' appearing in the file name.
    [[] sometimes results in [ but sometimes screws with the formula in a new and exciting way.

I don't really understand user defined tags, but maybe they could be utilized - define a tag as [ and then use it in a formula?
    Peter

Administrator

[album]\[track] [IFVALUE]composer,[composer] - ,[][title][IFVALUE]album artist, [album artist], [artist][]

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Idioversal View Post
    I think both "[" and '[' result in '[' appearing in the file name.
    [[] sometimes results in [ but sometimes screws with the formula in a new and exciting way.

I don't really understand user defined tags, but maybe they could be utilized - define a tag as [ and then use it in a formula?
    Peter
    figured it out. For example, the following naming string:
    [track] - [title] [UPPER][[artist][UPPER]][][]

produces this filename for the first track on The Beatles, Abbey Road album

01 - Come Together [The Beatles].flac

The key is I include:
    [UPPER]string[]

in the dynamic naming string, and replace "string" with [ to get the open bracket, then use the same thing on other side of [artist] to get ] (replace string with ])
    Last edited by garym; 01-07-2021 at 12:16 PM.

That seems to work a treat - thank you so much!!

The current formula is:
    [album]\[track] [IFVALUE]composer,[composer] - ,[][title][IFVALUE]album artist, [UPPER][[][album artist][UPPER]][], [UPPER][[][artist][UPPER]][][]

Peter
    Last edited by Idioversal; 01-07-2021 at 12:30 PM.