title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Pre-Emphasis

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Pre-Emphasis

Bonjour,

A question about Pre-Emphasis with R.17.2

The here-under option is unticked in the DBP CD Ripper options.

"Apply De-emphasis to CD tracks marked with Pre-Emphasis"

But on Log file there is a notion of Pre-Emphasis ?

Is there something wrong ?

dBpoweramp Release 17.2 Digital Audio Extraction Log from samedi 2 janvier 2021 08:48

Drive & Settings
    ----------------

Ripping with drive 'F: [PLEXTOR - CD-R PX-230A ]', Drive offset: 738, Overread Lead-in/out: Yes
    AccurateRip: Active, Using C2: No, Cache: 1024 KB, FUA Cache Invalidate: No
    Pass 1 Drive Speed: Max, Pass 2 Drive Speed: Max
    Bad Sector Re-rip:: Drive Speed: Max, Maximum Re-reads: 34

Encoder: FLAC -compression-level-8 -verify

Track Technical Details
    -----------------------

Track 1: Pre-Emphasis
    Track 2: Pre-Emphasis
    Track 3: Pre-Emphasis
    Track 4: Pre-Emphasis
    Track 5: Pre-Emphasis
    Track 6: Pre-Emphasis
    Track 7: Pre-Emphasis
    Track 8: Pre-Emphasis
    Track 9: Pre-Emphasis
    Track 10: Pre-Emphasis
    Track 11: Pre-Emphasis
    Extraction Log
    --------------

Track 1: Ripped LBA 0 to 13687 (3:02) in 0:12. Filename: E:\Musique\Francis Cabrel\Fragile\01 La Dame De Haute-Savoie.flac
    AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 30) [Pass 1]
    CRC32: B3289673 AccurateRip CRC: 955366BB (CRCv2) [DiscID: 011-000d4df0-0073165c-a107a70b-1]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 30 [CRCv2 955366bb]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 13 [CRCv1 41d02752]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 79 [CRCv2 b38c3ee6], Using Pressing Offset +93
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 22 [CRCv1 76211610], Using Pressing Offset +93

Thanks for your usual help

Administrator

Re: Pre-Emphasis

The log is just telling you the tracks have preemphasis, nothing was applied.

Hello, I recently upgraded to version 17.2 also. I have a question about the PE decoding I was hoping you could answer. Is the decoding based on SOX or something else? Any info you could provide about how the decoding works would be appreciated. Thanks.

Administrator

Yes it uses sox to process.

Hello Spoon,

I have a 2000 album + all "dBPowerAmp" (from vR14 on) ripped collection. Today I upgraded to R17.4. I could successfully de-emphasize a CD which I suspected to be emphasized because of excessive treble (France Gall - Babacar). It is now much more pleasant to listen too :-) Now I'm wondering whether other emphasized album may have been "wrongly" ripped without de-emphasizing. Which lead me to the following questions :
    1) is there a way to automatically detect afterwards on the ripped files which albums should have been de-emphasized ? Using any existing dBPowerAmp software or any external one ?
    2) as unfortunately I guess the answer to 1) will be no : to check whether de-emphasizing is required one working method is to rip the original CD s again (at least one track) to experience whether automatic de-emphasizing (kept allowed) will be done or not and if so to replace original files by the new de-emphasized ones. But would it possible to check this based on the original CD without having to rip again ?
    3) where the original CD is no longer available, if I now burn a CDR based on the existing flac files and use it instead with R17.4 will the possible "de-emphazising need" be detected ? Or is this information definitively lost ?

Thank you beforehand !

Administrator

There is a special flag on the CD, once ripped you cannot know.

I believe there are sites which list every CD which has pre-emphasis.

Thanks Spoon, even if not so good news :-)

I found some sites giving examples of CDs with PE but none seems to be neither "official" nor exhaustive.
    In my own collection for the moment I found two non listed ones : France Gall - Babacar and Michel Berger - Les plus belles chansons

So I'm afraid we have mainly to rely on our ears and suspect any end 70 / early 90 albums with excessive / unpleasant treble levels !