title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Normal Audio CD to rip in higher resolution?

Normal Audio CD to rip in higher resolution?

Dear All,

I am quite new and preparing to rip my full CD library.

From reading in this forum and other support sites, I understand as a general rule, that most (ist not all?) standard Audio CDs are produced in 44.1 kHz / 16 bit.

Now I am using ROON as Media Player and many different Sonos speakers in the house; Sonos supports since mid of last year also FLAC/ALAC with 24 bit and up to 48 kHz.

My question is now, does it make sense to convert my CDs in this higher resolution and is this possible at all?

Thank you and have a good start into the new year,
    Christian

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Normal Audio CD to rip in higher resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Apple-Fan View Post
    My question is now, does it make sense to convert my CDs in this higher resolution and is this possible at all?
    It IS possible, but makes no sense as you will NOT get higher resolution than the original source i.e. 16-bit, 44.1kHz.

Thank you for the quick reply.

But then I need to re-ask again: if I will not get any higher resolution as the source can deliver (which is for almost every Audio CDs 44,1, 16-bit), for which reason is is technically possible? is there any use case I am not aware of? Thank you!

dBpoweramp Guru

But then I need to re-ask again: if I will not get any higher resolution as the source can deliver (which is for almost every Audio CDs 44,1, 16-bit), for which reason is is technically possible? is there any use case I am not aware of? Thank you!
    ALL red-book audio CDs (CDDA) are 44.1 kHz, 16-bit.

It is technically possible to change the bit rate and sampling rate when ripping CDDA in CD Ripper, by using DSPs.

Users may have a requirement for higher (or lower) resolution audio files, maybe for testing purposes.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thank you for the quick reply.

To be blunt, it is basically a bit bizarre to rip 16/44.1 CDs to any higher bitrate. It does absolutely nothing other than create larger files. Audio is not changed.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Analog loop.

I'm curious about when I see Hi-Res music vendors (HD Tracks, Pro Studio Masters, etc.) offering albums/songs in AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, etc at 16 bit/44.1kHz, would these be the exact same quality audio files that I can RIP with CD Ripper?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by VBJohn View Post
    I'm curious about when I see Hi-Res music vendors (HD Tracks, Pro Studio Masters, etc.) offering albums/songs in AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, etc at 16 bit/44.1kHz, would these be the exact same quality audio files that I can RIP with CD Ripper?
    Yes!

Cool Re: Normal Audio CD to rip in higher resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes!
    Thanks