title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch converter performance with AMD vs Intel?

Batch converter performance with AMD vs Intel?

Hi all, I store my entire music library in both FLAC and MP3 and I use Batch Converter to convert the FLAC to MP3 for listening in the car. I'm currently using an i7-4790k which is is functional but a bit outdated. So I'm considering upgrading. I'm curious if batch converter is faster with the new Ryzen 5000 series chips from AMD or if something like an Intel i9-10900k would be best? Is there data either way?

I also use Adobe Lightroom to process RAW images from my DSLR and found this article saying that the AMD chips outperform the Intel chips with Lightroom. I process a lot more images than I do new FLAC/MP3 files so I'm leaning towards AMD unless there's something I'm missing. Anyone have any input? Thanks.

Administrator

Re: Batch converter performance with AMD vs Intel?

Depends on the underlying code, however I would be surprised if the AMD Ryzen were slower than current Intel when converting.

just to give an indication of Ryzen 4800HS performance :

transcoding of 7.5 Gb of flac 16/44 to MP3 VBR/240 took 1min 33 sec (590 x encoding speed).

Ryzen 5000 should be 15-20% faster ....

Quote Originally Posted by laurent69230 View Post
    just to give an indication of Ryzen 4800HS performance :

transcoding of 7.5 Gb of flac 16/44 to MP3 VBR/240 took 1min 33 sec (590 x encoding speed).

Ryzen 5000 should be 15-20% faster ....
    Funny that you commented today because I ended up snagging a 5900X from Microcenter last week. Put my system together yesterday and converted 32GB of FLAC to MP3(CBR/320) this morning in a little over 5 minutes. That's WAY faster than my 4790k would have ever dreamed of converting.