title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: configuring keeps saying use a different key disc

configuring keeps saying use a different key disc

I have used this drive on my other computer for over a year without a problem, but i moved it to another computer, and it keeps telling me that it doesn't know my drive or that there are multiple stored discs. I even picked a couple different discs on your list and it still gives me a problem...what can i do?

Re: configuring keeps saying use a different key disc

here are a couple pics to show my drive (wasn't cheap) and the error message.

on this try, i used al stewart year of the cat.1.jpg
    2.jpg

anyone?

dBpoweramp Guru

Screenshot 2 says, that this CD is can not be used to configure the CD drive settings for accurate rip. In this case one should keep feeding different CDs. Screenshot 1 says, that your drive is unknown and that there is no value for the offset stored in the databases for that drive. I don't know if there is a chance to configure your drive until it is included in an database update.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Screenshot 2 says, that this CD is can not be used to configure the CD drive settings for accurate rip. In this case one should keep feeding different CDs. Screenshot 1 says, that your drive is unknown and that there is no value for the offset stored in the databases for that drive. I don't know if there is a chance to configure your drive until it is included in an database update.

Dat Ei
    I'm not sure about this, but I thought that if a drive wasn't included int the database, it only meant that the user would have to feed several more key disks in order to eventually get the drive settings for AR. But again, I could be wrong about this. (edit...I recall prior users having to feed 10 or more key disks before the drive eventually was setup for AR)

I used this same drive before on my other computer before and it always worked. Never gave me any error messages. The only thing i can think of, is that the drive is now defective, but it still rips fine. If no one can come up with a "Logical" explanation or something to try, then i will try another drive (although this was the highest rated drive and one of the more expensive drives when i bought it), and try this drive in the other computer again.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mikemcsw View Post
    I used this same drive before on my other computer before and it always worked. Never gave me any error messages. The only thing i can think of, is that the drive is now defective, but it still rips fine. If no one can come up with a "Logical" explanation or something to try, then i will try another drive (although this was the highest rated drive and one of the more expensive drives when i bought it), and try this drive in the other computer again.

I'd just try another drive. Some of my best ripping drives are cheap, some salvaged out of old desktops, etc. Never been clear to me that there is any correlation between drive price and it's ripping quality. In fact, some "fancy" expensive drives have issues that make them NOT good rippers. Of course all of this is the reason that AccurateRip database and matching is so brilliant!

ugghhh...i just tried another cheap drive and it gave me same error

does it matter if i use a usb3 slot or a hub or not?

dBpoweramp Guru

does it matter if i use a usb3 slot or a hub or not?

i'd try without the hub (not that the USB hub *should* matter. I'm not near my computer running dbpa, but I recall in my settings for the drive connected via USB, there is something to check or uncheck related to being connected via USB. Look at the settings for something like that.

dBpoweramp Guru

Not clear from your description, you are using a SATA to USB adapter? It is possible some won't work properly, although I've used several different models over the years without difficulty. I can't speak for adding a USB hub in the middle. USB 2 or 3 (or probably 1) should be fine, the data rate from the drives is pretty low, even at full speed. Once you have it configured, you always have to use the same USB port, otherwise the computer will think it is a different drive and you'll have to reconfigure it.

I'd look for a SATA to USB adapter that specifically says it works with DVD/BlueRay drives.

very odd...so i put the drive back on my computer in the garage and it works perfectly.

it just doesn't work with the computer in the house....

.the computer in the house has all my billing stuff and so i don't want to swap computers, so i guess i will just go out to the garage again to rip cd's, unless someone can give me any ideas why the computer in the garage works but not the one in the house. when i isntall the application, i just use factory default settings, so i am pretty sure it is not anything to do with any accurip settings.

dBpoweramp Guru

very odd...so i put the drive back on my computer in the garage and it works perfectly.

it just doesn't work with the computer in the house....

.the computer in the house has all my billing stuff and so i don't want to swap computers, so i guess i will just go out to the garage again to rip cd's, unless someone can give me any ideas why the computer in the garage works but not the one in the house. when i isntall the application, i just use factory default settings, so i am pretty sure it is not anything to do with any accurip settings.

Just guessing. Something about the drivers etc. on the new computer for controlling the drive. On the new computer, does the drive work properly when using with other windows programs?

no drivers besides those built into windows 10. both systems are using windows 10. the drive works perfectly. It still plays and records and everything works...i just can't get it to do the configuration.

dBpoweramp Guru

no drivers besides those built into windows 10. both systems are using windows 10. the drive works perfectly. It still plays and records and everything works...i just can't get it to do the configuration.
    I have 3 computers running Win10 (64). All 3 are different "builds" and one of the newer ones seems much more "locked down" than the other two. There are things I can't get the newest Win10 computer to allow me to do. I'm sure there are probably some settings somewhere that would fix this for me, but nothing has been important enough yet to worry about. (Although I can say, all do work with dbpa). They all use "Trend Micro Security Agent" for anti-virus. (all 3 are work computers).