title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Tags Asset UPnP is able to use

Tags Asset UPnP is able to use

I'm glad to read that
    Classical tracks typically do not fit well into the standard artist >> album, browsing method. Apple introduced Work and Movement tags, if your tracks are tagged with these you can browse to Additional >> Composer / Work >> Work. Here tracks will be displayed by composer, then work.

However, regarding performers, I've seen mention to Artist only (I presume it corresponds to TPE1) which is not sufficient for Classical music: also required are Ensemble/Band (TPE2) and Conductor (TPE3).
    Is there support for these other two performer-related tags and would it be possible, for instance, to browse by either one of them?

Administrator

Re: Tags Asset UPnP is able to use

Conductor is already read, ensemble/band is not.

Re: Tags Asset UPnP is able to use

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Conductor is already read, ensemble/band is not.
    I believe support to [TIT2] could be addressed in the future.
    To illustrate (no pun intended) why, let's say one has a version of Beethoven's Violin Concerto with Isaac Stern as soloist, accompanied by the New York Philharmonic conducted by Leonard Bernstein:
    Beethoven is assigned to [TCOM] of course;
    Violin Concerto to [TIT1];
    Tracks containing names of each of the three movements to [TIT2];
    Isaac Stern belongs to [TPE1];
    Leonard Bernstein, obviously, to [TPE3];
    but the NY Philharmonic? It's certainly not a conductor, so no TPE3; but it's no individual either so TPE1 is not right - that's why TPE2 (band/orchestra/accompaniment) exists.
    A (classical) music server should be able to allow one to browse by soloists, ensembles and conductors as separate entities.