title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: De-Dupe questions/feature requests

De-Dupe questions/feature requests

Greetings:

I'm a long-time user of dBpoweramp and recently purchased PerfectTUNES. I wanted to start using it to prune duplicates from my music collection, but based on some initial use, I have a few questions (and I apologize if these are covered elsewhere in the forum, but I could not find definitive answers):

1. I've tried to set up De-Dupe to move "deleted" files to a specific folder. This works when I deal with tunes individually, but when I use Mass Delete, it simpy deletes them instead of moving them to the specified folder. Is this expected behavior?
    2. In terms of lossless files, does PerfectTUNES differentiate between files with higher bitrate/sample?

Regarding the latter, the following thread seems to indicate that this might not be the case:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...ht=mass+delete

So, on to the feature requests:

1. If Mass Delete truly deletes the files, can there be an option for it to obey the De-Dupe settings (e.g., "Deleted Files to...")
    2. If not already present, can the ability be added to differentiate between higher quality lossless files?
    3. Finally—and this is a minor request—can the ability be added in Mass Delete to check all/uncheck all?

Thanks!

Administrator

Re: De-Dupe questions/feature requests

Issues noted

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Issues noted
    Greetings:

It's been about a year since I've reported this issue and I'm curious if there will be an update? I note that PT has not been updated for macOS in over a year.

Also, on the hi-res front (*2 in my note) would it at least be possible to list sampling/bitrate and/or file size, just so we have a little more information when trying to differentiate between matching files?

Thanks!

Yes, I have a massive collection of music and was wondering the same thing. I just bought the program to do the dedupe. To my HORROR, I just discovered that I deleted a major portion of my music collection because the owner of the software is not clear about what the "Mass Deletion" feature actually does. I made the assumption, that anyone that would build a deduper would make SURE that the program would at MINIMUM save the ORIGINAL or the best quality track. I just opened up a major can of woop-ass on myself here. Not happy. I know there are many de-dupe programs out there that at a minimum DON'T DELETE your original file. This is a MAJOR FLAW in this software. Had I known this previously, and if Mr. Spoon had been more forthcoming, I would not be in the position I'm in now.

dBpoweramp Guru

As my carpenter Grandfather always said, measure twice, cut once. Always best to test things out on a small sample. But at least you have backup files to revert to (I hope). Good luck.

Administrator

When you click Mass Delete button, it lists the files, if you click 'Mass Delete' it shows:

---------------------------
    PerfectTUNES
    Mass-Delete all items listed (with a check mark)?

Great care should be used when deleting, ensure you have a backup of the files.
    OK Cancel

Is this not clear?

This is so 2013... It's 2022...music dupe software these days is smart enough to find the best file and UNCHECK it, if you haven't heard...

dBpoweramp Guru

Reading broadens the mind... in 2022,,, still,,,

Dat Ei

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jägs View Post
    Greetings:

I'm a long-time user of dBpoweramp and recently purchased PerfectTUNES. I wanted to start using it to prune duplicates from my music collection, but based on some initial use, I have a few questions (and I apologize if these are covered elsewhere in the forum, but I could not find definitive answers):

1. I've tried to set up De-Dupe to move "deleted" files to a specific folder. This works when I deal with tunes individually, but when I use Mass Delete, it simpy deletes them instead of moving them to the specified folder. Is this expected behavior?
    2. In terms of lossless files, does PerfectTUNES differentiate between files with higher bitrate/sample?

Regarding the latter, the following thread seems to indicate that this might not be the case:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...ht=mass+delete

So, on to the feature requests:

1. If Mass Delete truly deletes the files, can there be an option for it to obey the De-Dupe settings (e.g., "Deleted Files to...")
    2. If not already present, can the ability be added to differentiate between higher quality lossless files?
    3. Finally&*8212;and this is a minor request&*8212;can the ability be added in Mass Delete to check all/uncheck all?

Thanks!
    We have just tested mass-delete and it does send the files to the specified location, even if the folder to delete to is a network drive. The deletion routine is the same for both functions.