title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Disk Space Used Much More than Size of Ripped Files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marrmacken
    • Dec 2020

Disk Space Used Much More than Size of Ripped Files

Hi

Sorry if this has been answered before - I'm new to dBPoweramp.

I've just finished ripping my collection of 1,000+ CDs, saving them to an external 2Tb Seagate HDD connected to my MacBook. The ripped music files take up around 600Gb, but the 'used' space on the drive shows as nearly 1.5Tb if I format it as Mac OSX Journalled, or as around 1.1 Tb if formatted as EXFAT. I can't see anywhere what is taking up the additional 500 - 900 Gb of space, beyond the ripped music files. Nothing shows up on Finder and nothing obvious in Disk Utility. Is this a disk formatting issue or some 'hidden' data or something else I've done wrong? Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Disk Space Used Much More than Size of Ripped Files

I am not sure what could cause this, dBpoweramp would not write hidden files. You might have some backup system enabled on the drives which is keeping old versions of the files (when writing they are written twice in some instances).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Re: Disk Space Used Much More than Size of Ripped Files

Not sure what the equivalent is in a Mac, but in windows, I'd look at the properties of the drive, select "disk cleanup" option, and this would offer up the ability to remove all sorts of temp files, files in "recycle bin" etc.

Comment

Working...

]]>