title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Style/Content Group Tag Issue

Style/Content Group Tag Issue

Not sure exactly when this started but over the last couple of days......my rips (mostly WAV files) have been tagged with the "Style" field and worked well for many years. I use Asset and the browse tree uses the "Style" field to help me browse to specific content etc. Now when I look at my rips (some of them at least not sure exactly what percentage) the style field has gone but the "Content Group" field has appeared with the value that should be in the "Style" field. I know there's some sort of relationship between these two fields depending on how you have tagged your rips but can't work out why this has suddenly happened.

Two things have happened recently........I upgraded my dBpoweramp software to 17.2, not sure what I was on before but I think either 15.3 or 16.6 maybe. I also ran a script (via IDTag Update encoder) across some of my rips to remove a field but it had nothing to do with the Style tag, it was just two fields being manipulated. Also some of my rips that are now showing with content group were not part of the script process anyway.

I had a look in configuration and the only thing I could see was a setting in MP3 ID Tagging which refers to map TIT1 to Style. I'm not sure what the default was but I've had a play around with it but it doesn't seem to make a difference, maybe that's because my rips are WAV? I also ran a convert process on one album with the "audio info" encoder and that does show that rip contains content group but no style field.

Any help appreciated, thanks

Re: Style/Content Group Tag Issue

Just to add to the above.......Asset is confused (and so am I) with regards to the browse views I'm seeing. I've attached some screen shots that seem to indicate that "Edit IDTag" and the "Audio Output codec" are interpreting the field delineator (semi-colon) differently. I've used two albums (Adele and Bear's Den) as examples.

Adele First
    Adele IDTag.PNG
    Adele Audio Output.PNG

You can see that the tag delineator is being interpreted differently?

IDTag
    Composer = Carol; Mike
    Style = Redbook; Lossless

Audio Output Codec
    Composer = Carol Mike
    Style = Redbook Lossless

Bear's Den
    Bears Den IDTag.PNG
    Bears Den Audio Output.PNG

IDTag
    Composer = Mike; Carol

Audio Output Codec
    Composer = Mike Carol

I wouldn't normally expect to see a view in Asset/Style of "Redbook; Lossless" but I am and all the albums seem to be now split across three categories (Redbook, Lossless and Redbook; Lossless)

Not sure how if at all this is related to my main issue but could be releavnt?

Administrator

The change was made in R16.5:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/Version-Changes-DMC.htm

"Option (off by default) to map mp3 id2v3 style to TIT1, when mapped iTunes uses this rather than title on iPhones to organize the tracks."

Asset will have this option off, so Ideally you have it off in dBpoweramp, then use the 'ID Update' utility codec, convert all your music to this and it will update your music to those settings.

Thanks Spoon

This still isn't working......a couple of things just to clarify to make sure I'm on same page:

You reference mapping id2v3 style to TIT1 and I can see that's what it says in the version changes log, however, I assume this should read ID3v2?

Also the version changes states mapping style to TIT1 but as far as I can see the config refers to it the other way around i.e. map TIT1 to style.

Regardless I've run the ID Update utility codec against 2 different albums, one album where the tag defines a "content group but no style tag" and one where the tag defines "style but no content group" and the tags don't change at all regardless of whether I have the config set to "yes" i.e map TIT1 to Style or leave it set to "no" (off - default)

What's also confusing is that if the default is off i.e. don't map TIT1 to Style then why have some of my files suddenly changed from only having a Style tag to now only having a Content Group (TIT1) tag?

Administrator

Please upload 2 of your files showing the 2 different tag types and I will look. Upload to dropbox and send me a message on this forum.

Have sent you a message with the Dropbox link. Thanks

Administrator

The 'All Venus' track is saved as 'TIT1: MQ/Lossless' / is a separator for mp3 for multi items hence MQ; Lossless

This tag is read as 'Content Group' by dBpoweramp (and Asset).

The 'Bear' file is stored internally as 'Style: Redbook; Lossless' note ';' which is not a separator for mp3.

You could use the ID Tag update to map 'Content Group' to 'Style'

I want to avoid mapping all the tags again if possible, talking 1000s of tracks and then they'll all have to be backed up again

What I don't understand is why have these tracks suddenly started to use TIT1 instead of Style, I haven't done anything to these files?

I thought "; "was the correct separator for tags within dBPoweramp, are you saying I should be using "/" to separate tags for Style?

It was my understanding that if two tags are defined for a particular user defined text information frame (e.g. Style) then they should be separated by "; " and dBpoweramp would write them into the file as two tags both defined as Style but each with a different value, is that not how is works?
    Last edited by Husqcat; 12-11-2020 at 07:43 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Husqcat View Post
    I thought "; "was the correct separator for tags within dBPoweramp, are you saying I should be using "/" to separate tags for Style?
    No, you thought wrong. The multi-value tag separator/delimiter is dependant on the metadata format e.g. ID3, Vorbis etc.

Also, it gets more confusing, when there is no standard across metadata editing software either.

So, you need to be aware of the metadata editing software in use (in this case dBpoweramp) and then the metadata format you are editing.
    Last edited by mville; 12-11-2020 at 08:00 AM.

Thanks mville...

I've always used "; " as a separator within dBpoweramp and it's worked fine until the upgrade to 17.3, maybe I have just been lucky with regards the metadata format then. Although my files are WAV I understand that the tags outside of LIST are written as ID3v2 tags e.g Style. So what is the correct separator for ID3v2 tags (e.g. Style) within dBpoweramp?

Administrator

dBpoweramp standardizes the tag separators by using '; ' in the editor, behind the scenes the correct separator is written.

The default setting is now not to map to TIT1 as this was causing big issues with itunes, would not show the title. If you rip a new wave with the latest dBpoweramp the following tags are written:

Style: Pop
    Style: Rap

Two separate tag, which is correct for id3v2.3

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    dBpoweramp standardizes the tag separators by using '; ' in the editor, behind the scenes the correct separator is written.
    OK that makes sense and that appears to have been working correctly although as you will have seen in the Bear's Den file the Style tag has been written into the file as "Redbook; Lossless" even though I have used the correct separator in dBpoweramp.

From what you say above it should have been written as....

Style: Redbook
    Style: Lossless

Administrator

Using the Windows version? and didnt use the ID Tag processing dsp effect whilst ripping?

Windows 10

A lot of the WAV file rips were done many years ago so if you are asking did I use the the ID Tag processing dsp effect when I actually ripped them I couldn't tell you. If you are asking have I run the ID Tag processing codec over them all with music convertor then the answer is no, well certainly not for a large proportion, I have done some using the batch convertor and just selected the folders I wanted. If I had made a mistake and selected everything wouldn't the file modification date/time have also changed?

I have whole folders of music here that I haven't been near with the ID Tag processing dsp effect (as far as I am aware) that now show "Content Group" instead of "Style"....indeed the file modified date hasn't changed since 2015. I've also inspected some of the files and they do actually contain the TIT1 tag not Style
    Last edited by Husqcat; 12-11-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Administrator

Content Group means it is written to 'TIT1', for them you can use the ID Tag Processing DSP effect and map to style.

It is just a case of standards progressing over the years, a number of years ago, style would not have been identified as a tag to hold multiple styles, hence why '; ', however there is an option in ID Tag processing to 'Multiple Artists from 'Artist1; Artist 2'', this should put correctly using the latest version.