title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: 2xNimbie NB21 same PC - Discs not dropping

2xNimbie NB21 same PC - Discs not dropping

Hi,

Hoping someone can help. I have 2xNimbies connected to a PC, USB3, no hub.
    According the the BatchRipper page:

multiple Nimbies can be used on the same machine for commercial ripping.

If I power up both drives, I see them in Batch ripper (both configured as 'Nimbie'; but starting a rip just hangs batch ripper (not windows). The drive goes in and out a few times, but the discs don't drop. Stopping the batch doesn't do anything and the only way to quit is to kill the process in task manager.

I've read a few threads with similar issues, but none of them had a solution.

Batch Ripper configuration is set to 'Nimbie' but the tests hang (and have to be killed by Task Manager).

Here's the kicker - Everything works perfectly if I turn one of the Nimbies off - either one, it doesn't matter.

So any ideas what I might be doing wrong? A trick somewhere that I missed?

In the morning I'm going to uninstall *everything* and start from scratch.

Many thanks in advance,

Geoff
    Last edited by muppetgeoff; 12-06-2020 at 02:40 AM. Reason: iOS jacks up quotes *sigh*

Administrator

Re: 2xNimbie NB21 same PC - Discs not dropping

We have tested 4 at the same time, although that was a while ago (Windows 7). They were on Dell PCs. If there is a block then it would be easier to add a 2nd computer to control the other robot, even laptop would do.

Thanks for the response Spoon.

I removed everything and reinstalled from the beginning. I also left things alone and gave it as long as it wanted (I started a test and had a shower, started a rip and went out for a while).

Everything seems to work now, eventually. When I start a rip process, Batch Ripper sits at "Pre-Batch Action" for nearly 3 minutes (@2:40) before proceeding to "Loading CD", then the drive comes in and out a few times before eventually loading a disc after another 9 minutes (@12:40). Rinse and repeat for each CD.

This only happens when both are plugged in and powered on. With a single Nimbie, it's all very fast.

I'll keep digging. The Nimbie diagnostic tool works just fine - loading and unloading discs without any delay or other issues.

The Batch Ripper configuration tests have a similar issue to Batch Ripper itself, in that the tests take an age to run, but eventually do so without any issue.

So my question is what is the "Pre-Batch action", and is the loader possibly using an incorrect load command (I did note it is blank in the Batch Ripper Configuration)

Geoff

Thanks for the reply Spoon.

Today Inset a batch running and went out. When I came back it was done. So I re-ran it to see - It takes 2:40 to proceed from "Pre load action" to "Loading CD", then @12:40 it loaded the disc. Rinse and repeat for each disc.

So it certainly looks like it won't run 2 at once in Windows 10.

I&*8217;m going to set up a laptop to run the second ripper, and Remote Desktop to manage the first. It&*8217;s a shame Hyper-V and Windows Sandbox don&*8217;t support USB passthrough.

If anything obvious springs to mind, I'm happy to try it. Otherwise I'll just roll with 2 machines.

Thanks!

Geoff

With a single loader powered on, it works just fine.

Well - my grand plan to use RDP to control the Rip PC fell at the first hurdle. As soon as I connect the RDP session, the Nimbie goes offline and I cannot select it in the configuration. It's as if it's been unplugged, but it still shows up in Device Manager.

Looking like I'll be using a KVM. Ugh.

*EDIT* Thanks to https://www.google.com/amp/s/nuxx.ne...-workflow/amp/

In order to use either dBpoweramp CD Ripper or Batch Ripper via Remote Desktop, the following group policy must be enabled: Local Computer Policy &*8594; Computer Configuration &*8594; Administrative Templates &*8594; System &*8594; Removable Storage Access &*8594; All Removable Storage: Allow direct access in remote sessions. This setting is detailed in this article from Microsoft.
    Last edited by muppetgeoff; 12-07-2020 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Added fix

My final solution (for various logistic reasons) is to run 2 PCs, each with one Nimbie. Then use a Laptop with a tabbed RDP client, so I can display them side by side.

Thanks for RDP GPO hint Spoon!

Hi, I read somewhere that there's a special driver for multiple NIMBIES...But there was a long time ago