title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Convert entire iTunes library

Convert entire iTunes library

I have over 3,000 CDs that I put in my iTunes library several years ago in M4A, and I would like to convert and make a duplicate library in MP3 format to play on more devices. I would like to purchase Dbpoweramp, but want to make sure it will do what I need it to do first. Since they are all entire CDs, I want to make sure to maintain the artist/album/track structure so I can copy artists or albums over to new devices easily and have them organized similar to how they are in my iTunes library. I also want to be able to do it as a batch, and not file/track by file/track. ie; choose Neil Young to convert, and all 22 albums within that folder would be included.
    I hope all this makes sense. I basically just want my iTunes library exactly the way it is, but in MP3. Can Dbpoweramp do this for me?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Convert entire iTunes library

Quote Originally Posted by RMicken View Post
    I have over 3,000 CDs that I put in my iTunes library several years ago in M4A, and I would like to convert and make a duplicate library in MP3 format to play on more devices. I would like to purchase Dbpoweramp, but want to make sure it will do what I need it to do first. Since they are all entire CDs, I want to make sure to maintain the artist/album/track structure so I can copy artists or albums over to new devices easily and have them organized similar to how they are in my iTunes library. I also want to be able to do it as a batch, and not file/track by file/track. ie; choose Neil Young to convert, and all 22 albums within that folder would be included.
    I hope all this makes sense. I basically just want my iTunes library exactly the way it is, but in MP3. Can Dbpoweramp do this for me?
    yes, dbpa can do all this. Convert to mp3, maintain same tag info, maintain same file name, directory structure, etc. And can do the entire library in one batch with a few clicks.
    p.s. You do realize that converting from lossy (m4a) to another lossy format (mp3) is generally not a good idea, as there will be additional loss of audio info. I find it rare to see a player that will play mp3 files and not m4a files. Are you sure your desired players don't play m4a files?

Thanks for the reply!
    I do understand the quality loss, which is why I want to make a separate library of MP3 and not simply replace my M4A version. My wife's car stereo will only play MP3s off of a USB drive, and I have one other device that is the same. So I thought if it was simple, that's what I would do. My car stereo plays either format so I'll stick to M4A.

dBpoweramp Guru

yep, super simple to create a mirror library of mp3 files with same folder structure, tags, and artwork. Go for it.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by RMicken View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    I do understand the quality loss, which is why I want to make a separate library of MP3 and not simply replace my M4A version. My wife's car stereo will only play MP3s off of a USB drive, and I have one other device that is the same. So I thought if it was simple, that's what I would do. My car stereo plays either format so I'll stick to M4A.
    If this is only going to be a one-off conversion, perhaps using Tune Fusion is a better way to go? It will let you convert on-the-fly and dump your selection directly to the USB device you are going to use in the car, without modifying the original library files that remain in iTunes.