title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Rip & Write ReplayGain

Rip & Write ReplayGain

Is it possible to Apply Album level ReplayGain during the rip? Or does the Apply have to come afterwards?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Rip & Write ReplayGain

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    Is it possible to Apply Album level ReplayGain during the rip? Or does the Apply have to come afterwards?
    Yes, just add the ReplayGain DSP to be used during ripping and select the "Track and Album" option. Both track and album RG tag fields will be added during the rip and at the end of the rip (for Album). All automated.

edit: Wait, You're asking about the "APPLY RG" not just creating RG value tags. I *think* it would work the same way but have never tried.

Yes, Gary, I want to actually change the volume as it's ripping, not just add metadata.

I tried adding both the normal ReplayGain and the ReplayGain (Apply) DSP options, but that didn't produce the desired results. It seems Apply needs the metadata to operate, and the DSP processing doesn't seem to be sequential, where the first option adds the tag, and the second will change the volume (and remove the tag).

dBpoweramp Guru

Yep, not sure myself. Although I suspect most people rip to create bitperfect copies of the CD, then later on use the CONVERTER to create lossy versions with volume modified, etc.

dBpoweramp Guru

From previous posts answered by Spoon, I recall the replay gain apply DSP applies the replay gains already in the tags, not new ones. Therefore you'd run the convert twice, first to create the tags, using Replay Gain, then a second time using the replay gain apply tag to actually apply it.

And don't forget, the apply can't be undone, so best/safest to keep a copy of the directory from before you did the apply, in case you don't like the results or come up with a better way in the future.
    Last edited by schmidj; 11-29-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Yeah, I was really hoping to process things just once, you know.

Shame we can't do that.