title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Convert M4P to MP3

Unregistered

Cool Convert M4P to MP3

See here for conversion FAQ:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...hlight=mp4+mp3

------------

Does anyone know how to convert M4P to MP3? There has to be a way, I don't give a damn if it's legal or not, I paid for the music file, it's mine, I should be able to do whatever I want with it right? I have been told that "Toast" will do the trick, but does "Toast" work on Windows 2K? All I found was for Mac.
    Last edited by Spoon; 05-09-2005 at 04:18 PM.

Administrator

Unregistered

Re: Convert M4P to MP3

Okay Spoon, how do I create a file called convert.vbs?

Unregistered

What is the "propper playback key" and how do I get it?
    and I created the "convert.vbs" but in which directory do I put it and the .m4p files?

thanks for your time... signed P-Head.

Administrator

Put everything in C:\

Ozzy

Question Re: Convert M4P to MP3

Well, I am tryin to follow everything and I'm getting closer. I get a runtime error trying to execute the convert.vbs saying 'left' is not a valid argument. (Line 9). Also, what is the "Proper playback key"? This might be what I'm missing. Thank you for your help so far.

Administrator

Look at FAQ - the code snippet has been updated.

Unregistered

ok it converted it to mp4. it did not play on my pocket pc. does windows media player not support mp4?

Administrator

No, try itunes or dBpowerAMP Audio Player.

Unregistered

I did it the long way. I agree, I paid for it, I should be able to edit it, play it on my PalmPilot, etc. Damn them and their eternal paranoia.

This is what I did.
    - use iTunes to create a playlist of the m4p files
    - burn a CD of those files
    - move or delete the original m4p files
    - import the CD

You should be able to use mp3 or WAV or whatever you want. Good luck.

Unregistered

I can tell you a slightly better way....It's about as complex, but at least it doesn't use up a CD....

You will need a sound recording program like Sonic Foundry Sound Forge (that's what I used). Get it off Kazaa if you don't own it.

Start up iTunes and your sound recording program. Also, open the Windows Mixer by double-clicking the speaker icon in the system tray.

In the Mixer, click "Options" - "Properties"

Select the "Recording" radio button, then OK.

You should see a number of sliders with checkboxes at the bottom labeled "Select".

You want to select the slider that corresponds to your sound OUTPUT. On my PC, it is labeled "Stereo Mix". This basically tells your computer to get its recording stream from the stereo mix.

Close the Mixer.

Now, go to your sound recording program and start recording. Then, switch to iTunes and start playing whatever you want to record. When the song stops, stop your sound recorder. Now you can save it as whatever you want....without wasting a CD!!!!

Be sure to monitor your recording. You may need to adjust the recording level to get a good quality recording.....I usually do a sample run through by skipping the song around in iTunes and checking the recording level in Sound Forge before I actually record the whole song. Essentially, you want the meters as high as possible without "Clipping" (Sound Forge has a clip indicator light that makes this very simple).

If you find this helpful or run into problems, drop a line to tnwesel@mindspring.com and let me know!

What exactly is the "proper play back key" needed to convert with m4p2mp4.exe? And where can I get it?

Unregistered

In iTunes - you must have the rights to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    In iTunes - you must have the rights to play it.
    how do you do that? I have iTunes and it still says "you must have the propper playback key"?

I used that m4p2mp4 program and the output file does not contain any audio. What did I do wrong? Why can't we use music that we payed for?