title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Custom Naming

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Custom Naming

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    Whatever, Genre (and style) is in the ear of the beholder. Your tastes in music, the nature of your collection, history. All very personal.
    This is to my mind the reasons why the Genre tag is so personal wuth the nature of your collection being completely different to mine. You have (as usual) explained very eloquently why one size doesn't fit all. There is a heck of a difference in what would be useful for someone with 50 albums as opposed to 5,000 of any wide genre and so we tag accordingly with personal interpretation and preference coming into the mix.

Thank you for showing a totally different perspective in your full post.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

If your database and codec support multiple genres well, consider tagging with both Rock and Punk (or whatever. That way if you want rock, including the punk, filter for rock. If you want only punk rock filter for punk.
    I’m going to try this and see if any of my software has the ability to read multiple genre tags. If it works it could be a great solution, with the first tag as the main genre followed by a couple of sub-genres (or styles). For example, Rock; Heavy Metal; Thrash Metal

Is that the right way to separate them, with a semi-colon and a space?

dBpoweramp Guru

Semicolons to separate in dBpa, but if you edit your tags using mp3tag, it uses the double backslash. Different codecs use different ways of dealing with multiple value entries (if they deal with it al all), both programs convert your entry to match the codecs' spec.

Some library databases and some players don't deal with multiple values well, they might only use the first entry or use some delimiter between them. In the second case, they are essentially "anding" the two values instead of "oring" them which is the desired action. It is worth your while to experiment a little with your system to see that it does what you want. If not happy, you may want to look at different software to index/search/filter or play your music files.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Semicolons to separate in dBpa, but if you edit your tags using mp3tag, it uses the double backslash. Different codecs use different ways of dealing with multiple value entries (if they deal with it al all), both programs convert your entry to match the codecs' spec.

Some library databases and some players don't deal with multiple values well, they might only use the first entry or use some delimiter between them. In the second case, they are essentially "anding" the two values instead of "oring" them which is the desired action. It is worth your while to experiment a little with your system to see that it does what you want. If not happy, you may want to look at different software to index/search/filter or play your music files.
    Well, I tried but it didn't work. Like you say, my software either lumped all the words together so I got something like "Rock Punk Anarcho-Punk" as one genre, or it just displayed the first word; "Rock". I also tried adding extra genre fields in the tags section, but each new tag just wrote over the last.

I'll probably just stick to my original plan of using something like Rock as the genre and then adding a couple of sub-genres as styles, hoping that future software might have the ability to read and sort by them (although not holding my breath for that to happen anytime soon). Otherwise I'm just moving further away from my "keep it simple" plan of action.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
    Well, I tried but it didn't work. Like you say, my software either lumped all the words together so I got something like "Rock Punk Anarcho-Punk" as one genre, or it just displayed the first word; "Rock". I also tried adding extra genre fields in the tags section, but each new tag just wrote over the last.

I'll probably just stick to my original plan of using something like Rock as the genre and then adding a couple of sub-genres as styles, hoping that future software might have the ability to read and sort by them (although not holding my breath for that to happen anytime soon). Otherwise I'm just moving further away from my "keep it simple" plan of action.
    You can obviously quickly change the Genre tag, if / when manufacturers realise / care about what has been happening for the last twenty years! Some players and apps are very good, some simply basic and archaic.

In using for example "Jazz Rock", I wanted to differentiate, for example, Brand X, from any other style of Jazz, or Rock. Really the same with Progressive Rock, Blues Rock, Country Rock, Folk Rock. Punk Rock became simply Punk!

When you have settled on names that work both for you and your players, hopefully it then becomes quick and totally instinctive,

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    You can obviously quickly change the Genre tag, if / when manufacturers realise / care about what has been happening for the last twenty years! Some players and apps are very good, some simply basic and archaic.

In using for example "Jazz Rock", I wanted to differentiate, for example, Brand X, from any other style of Jazz, or Rock. Really the same with Progressive Rock, Blues Rock, Country Rock, Folk Rock. Punk Rock became simply Punk!

When you have settled on names that work both for you and your players, hopefully it then becomes quick and totally instinctive,

Turns out, although I have GENRE tags filled in, I really only use it one time a year. I click on random play from CHRISTMAS genre when playing holiday music. Otherwise I don't really use GENRE for anything. I typically am looking for a specific artist or specific album to play. So I'm mostly browsing or searching on "artist" or "album".

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Turns out, although I have GENRE tags filled in, I really only use it one time a year. I click on random play from CHRISTMAS genre when playing holiday music. Otherwise I don't really use GENRE for anything. I typically am looking for a specific artist or specific album to play. So I'm mostly browsing or searching on "artist" or "album".
    That's exactly what I do! My Christmas CDs contain a huge variety of genres; Religious, Rock, New Age, Easy-Listening, etc., but it all gets lumped together under Christmas to be shuffled played through the day at work. I can't think of any other time when I actually choose to listen to albums based on the genre tag.