title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Just got the trial: a couple of observations/ feature requests

Question Just got the trial: a couple of observations/ feature requests

I've just done a couple of mkv to mp4 (no re-encoding) conversions...

Firstly, the source material is 23.976fps but for some reason the resulting mp4s show in DaVinci Resolve as being 24fps. Seems I have to set 23.976fps in the DSP in order to preserve 23.976fps. Any idea why this is?

Secondly, it seems odd to default the re-encoded AAC audio to a bitrate of 128kbps and needing to set that as a DSP.

As a feature request it would be great to be able to offer Avid DNxHD/DNxHR codecs and ProRes on Macs for QuickTime files.

Any updates planned soon?

Edit: I just looked at the files and compared to another made using mkv to mp4 and in the video section, the ones created with dBpoweramp display a Frame Rate mode: variable (with values for minimum and maximum) rather than constant of 23.976fps on the file made with MKV to MP4.
    Last edited by norliss; 01-11-2021 at 03:54 PM. Reason: edit

Administrator

Re: Just got the trial: a couple of observations/ feature requests

If there is no reencoding then the same framerate would be in the mp4, if re-encoding happens it is obvious as the conversion runs slow as apposed to instantly.

We work on R2 for Video converter, release in the next few months.

Re: Just got the trial: a couple of observations/ feature requests

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If there is no reencoding then the same framerate would be in the mp4, if re-encoding happens it is obvious as the conversion runs slow as apposed to instantly.

We work on R2 for Video converter, release in the next few months.
    There's no re-encoding as such since the process took only a few minutes. But something is being done during the process, even if it's just metadata. MediaInfoTool is showing the file to have a Frame rate of 23.976fps but a Frame rate mode of Variable whilst the original is constant. The mp4 also states a minimum frame rate of 22.730fps and a maximum of 24.407fps whilst the original mkv has none of these extra properties. Perhaps this is what confuses DaVinci Resolve which sees the mp4 as 24fps?

Good news that there's a new version coming but I think I'd be likely to hang on for that before making a purchase.