title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artist Sort tag not being written to FLAC file

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Question Artist Sort tag not being written to FLAC file

After selecting CD Ripper Options > Tags & Filenames > Meta Data & ID Tag > Options > Write ID tags: Artist Sort, I ripped a CD, but Mp3tag shows no sign of any tag called Artist Sort.

Where might I be going wrong?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Artist Sort tag not being written to FLAC file

Did the metadata for the CD have the tag artist sort filled?

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Did the metadata for the CD have the tag artist sort filled?
    There was no visibility of the Artist Sort tag that I could see on the CD Ripper interface, so I assumed that it was going to be created automatically from the Artist tag.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
    After selecting CD Ripper Options > Tags & Filenames > Meta Data & ID Tag > Options > Write ID tags: Artist Sort, I ripped a CD, but Mp3tag shows no sign of any tag called Artist Sort.

Where might I be going wrong?

Unless it was included in the online database metadata (often unlikely), you'd need to fill in the artist sort information at the time of ripping for the tag to be filled in.

Administrator

If the Artist Sort is the same as Artist, there is little point for it to exist, because anything which uses artist sort will fall back to artist if not present.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If the Artist Sort is the same as Artist, there is little point for it to exist, because anything which uses artist sort will fall back to artist if not present.
    In some circumstances, Artist and Artist Sort would be the same (several pop music stars are known by just one name). However, the purpose of Artist Sort is to deal with those that have at least two names. For example, the Artist 'Daniel Barenboim' should have an Artist Sort tag of 'Barenboim, Daniel'. Does CD Ripper offer any assistance for automatically generating such an Artist Sort tag from the Artist tag?

Administrator

It does not.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It does not.
    Thanks for that clarification. However, I am still puzzled why my initial experiments didn't even succeed in creating empty Artist Sort tags. Does CD Ripper Options > Tags & Filenames > Meta Data & ID Tag > Options > Write ID tags: Artist Sort only work in the very unlikely event that the disc contains a setting for that tag?

dBpoweramp Guru

It writes the tag if the tag has a value, either provided by the metadata databases or typed in by you.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

It writes the tag if the tag has a value, either provided by the metadata databases or typed in by you.
    If one of the metadata databases provided such a value then where would it appear on the CD Ripper interface?

dBpoweramp Guru

To my understanding the tag would appear on the starting screen of CD Ripper, if you have chosen the provider with that tag information. Otherwise you can add it by hand on the starting screen.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

To my understanding the tag would appear on the starting screen of CD Ripper, if you have chosen the provider with that tag information. Otherwise you can add it by hand on the starting screen.
    I can't find any way to display Artist Sort (or any custom tag) on the main screen of CD Ripper. When I right click to see the options for tag display it doesn't give me the option of selecting Artist Sort. Am I missing something?

The Tags option at the foot of that screen only handles metadata that applies for all tracks. Artist, and thus Artist Sort, can be different for each track.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
    The Tags option at the foot of that screen only handles metadata that applies for all tracks. Artist, and thus Artist Sort, can be different for each track.
    If you select only one or a few trakcs of the CD, you can assign artists and artist sorts to those tracks only.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

If you select only one or a few trakcs of the CD, you can assign artists and artist sorts to those tracks only.
    Changing Artist for each track is easy, because Artist is displayed on the main screen. But even with a track selected, when I right click on the column headings the menu still doesn't show Artist Sort.

dBpoweramp Guru

You can see, edit and add artist sort in the tag section (register "TAG") at the bottom of the screen.

Dat Ei