title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Do I have to pay to update to latest version?!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tim091
    • Jan 2015

Do I have to pay to update to latest version?!

I bought Poweramp Reference and Perfect Tunes a few years ago. I assumed that like most software they would periodically check for updates and install when next launched.

However, it looks like this doesn't happen (and I cannot find any "Check for updates" option in the software). This is pretty odd. Even odder is that it seems that I have to PAY to update to the latest version!! Is that correct, am I reading that right?

If true that is a very unusual business model; I don't think I have ever bought software that is a one off standalone purchase without access to future updates.

Is that really how it works or have I missed something?
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Do I have to pay to update to latest version?!

Updates within a major version (i.e. R17.1 -> R17.2) are for free, but you have to pay for upgrades to newer major versions (i.e. R16 -> R17) unless you did not buy your version within a short grace period before of the new major release.

Dat Ei

Comment

• tim091
      • Jan 2015

Thanks @DAT Ei, that really sucks! Quite unbelievable! I am on 15 so it would be a paid upgrade then.

Shame, I really liked the product. Looks like I will have to move to something else that treats customers normally!

Thanks for the explanation, appreciate it.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The majority of the software you buy is based on the main version of the software:

Microsoft Office
        Photoshop
        etc.

If you bought Microsoft office 20 years ago, then you would not receive the latest 2020 version...
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Dat Ei
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2014

Hey Tim,

Originally posted by tim091
          Thanks @DAT Ei, that really sucks! Quite unbelievable! I am on 15 so it would be a paid upgrade then.
          I don't get your point. Nowadays we see two market concepts: you pay once for a licence which allows you to use a concrete version of the version for life time, or the second model, that you rent a software on a monthly or yearly basis and pay a certain amount of money every manth or year. illustrate prefers the model of selling a licence for a concrete life time version. As long as the version is the most actual one, you get support and minor updates for bug fixing etc. pp. for free. This concept isn't unusual at all and quiet common.

In case you upgrade your software version, you can buy the actual version with a discount. Even that is very common.

So I like to ask you, how long would or could you work for a one-time payment?

Dat Ei

Comment

• Supernaut
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Dec 2020

Originally posted by Spoon
            If you bought Microsoft office 20 years ago, then you would not receive the latest 2020 version...
            I'm trying to decide which bundle to buy, both "dBpoweramp Complete" and "dBpoweramp Music Converter & CD Ripper" say:
            "Never expires, re-install at any time in the future"

Does this mean that if I replace my PC in the future I will be able to re-install the purchased software on the new PC, or will I have to purchase dbpoweramp again? I imagine that by that time there may be a newer version available anyway, which will obviously require a new purchase.

I don't really need the Family Pack for 5 PCs as I'll only be using the software on one PC at any given time (whichever bundle I choose).

Comment

• Wayne
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Supernaut
              I'm trying to decide which bundle to buy, both "dBpoweramp Complete" and "dBpoweramp Music Converter & CD Ripper" say:
              "Never expires, re-install at any time in the future"

Does this mean that if I replace my PC in the future I will be able to re-install the purchased software on the new PC, or will I have to purchase dbpoweramp again? I imagine that by that time there may be a newer version available anyway, which will obviously require a new purchase.

I don't really need the Family Pack for 5 PCs as I'll only be using the software on one PC at any given time (whichever bundle I choose).
              What it means is that you can download those registered versions of the software packages that you originally ordered. You should only need to pay again if you want to obtain the latest major release.

Comment

• Supernaut
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Dec 2020

Originally posted by Wayne
                What it means is that you can download those registered versions of the software packages that you originally ordered. You should only need to pay again if you want to obtain the latest major release.
                So if I do a factory reset on my PC, or buy a new PC in the future, I'll still be able to re-install the software I originally ordered (even if I purchase the Single PC license)?

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Yes, even people who ordered 15 years ago can download their software today.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Supernaut
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Dec 2020

Yes, even people who ordered 15 years ago can download their software today.
                    Brilliant, thank you. In that case I'll most likely go for the the "dBpoweramp R17 Reference & Perfect TUNES Single PC" option.

Comment

• XYZ000
                      • Feb 2021

[...]
                      Yes, that is logical/ reasonable

But I think that a simple rule could benefit both sides of the deal: let say that when the user buys a 17.X version then that user will be eligible for all of the 18.X versions. And when buying an "18", also the 19 will be paid for. And so on

Comment

Working...

]]>