title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Drive cache: What does it do

Drive cache: What does it do

Hi,

I own a Asus BD-12D2HT blu-ray-drive, which is number five on the top drive accuracy list from 2019, and I'm currently in the process of ripping my cd-Collection with this drive. It appears, that the drive has no cache, but I figured, that I could have gotten a drive with cache for just a Little more Money.

So my question is: What is cache exactly, and what does it do when ripping cd's. Has it any effect on the result, or doesn't it really matter?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards:
    Aksel Christoffersen

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Drive cache: What does it do

Quote Originally Posted by akse0435 View Post
    Hi,

I own a Asus BD-12D2HT blu-ray-drive, which is number five on the top drive accuracy list from 2019, and I'm currently in the process of ripping my cd-Collection with this drive. It appears, that the drive has no cache, but I figured, that I could have gotten a drive with cache for just a Little more Money.

So my question is: What is cache exactly, and what does it do when ripping cd's. Has it any effect on the result, or doesn't it really matter?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards:
    Aksel Christoffersen

cache is just keeping a bit of info in memory, roughly speaking. No cache is good. When there is a cache, the software has to "empty" this cache when making multiple passes for secure ripping comparison purposes. So you're good with the no cache drive.
    Last edited by garym; 10-25-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Re: Drive cache: What does it do

OK, thanks.