title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How do I persuade PerfectTunes not to see one album as two incomplete albums?

How do I persuade PerfectTunes not to see one album as two incomplete albums?

- I'm running latest versions of dBpoweramp (17.2(1)) and PerfectTunes (2.6(1)) on latest Catalina (10.15.7)

- I have a number of CDs ripped to AIFF about 15 years ago.
    - I plan to convert them all to Apple Lossless (and do a certain amount of metadata fix and repair).
    - After buying your (excellent!) software, a percentage of these show one or two tracks as InAccurate rips.

- My planned workflow was: for each affected CD - re-rip the offending tracks direct to Apple Lossless using CD Ripper, check for an accurate rip, and then convert the remaining tracks from AIFF to Apple Lossless using Music Converter. Then delete all the .aif files.

- However: PerfectTunes then sees the new rip as one album, and the original files (minus the inaccurate rip) as a second album - both incomplete and thus both uncheckable by AccurateRip.

- Examining the ID tags I see that the newly ripped track has a number of tags not present in the original rips. However, I can see that its Album, Year, Genre, Disc, Comment, Composer tags are identical to the rest of the tracks.

So Q1 is: Are there tags I can amend, or is there something else I can do, in order to persuade PerfectTunes that these files do in fact constitute one album?

Q2 is: Otherwise, would I be advised simply to re-rip the whole disc? (But then what do I do if, for example, the original rip has a fault on track 1, and because of the passage of time, the new rip has faults on tracks 2 and 3? I'd still want to combine my original accurate tracks 2 and 3 in that case. )

Q3 is: It seems like the point of this software is (in part) to enable the fixing of inaccurately ripped tracks on discs. So, is there an easy workflow I am obtusely missing?

Apologies if these are stupid questions, and thanks for any help! Happy to provide further information as needed.

N

Administrator

Re: How do I persuade PerfectTunes not to see one album as two incomplete albums?

Album artist tag?

Compilation tag the same for both albums?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: How do I persuade PerfectTunes not to see one album as two incomplete albums?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Album artist tag?

I've also seen this with some tracks having the "total disk" field filled in.

Album artist tag?

Ah - many thanks. Compilation tag is what it was!

But now I have an odder issue. In the first instance, AccurateRip identified a single inaccurate track - in this case, track 9. So I replaced track 9 with a correctly ripped version and set the tags to be identical.

Now PAccurateRip sees one disc, but reports a fault in a different track - Track 8. I repeat the exercise, quicker this time.

And then, on the next run, PerfectTunes reports a fault in Track 7. At this point I gave up and re-ripped the whole disc.

But do you have a sense of what might be happening?
    N

Administrator

You have ripped with a different drive offset, so each time you replace a track, AccurateRip has to read the track before to verify and if the offsets are different...

You have ripped with a different drive offset, so each time you replace a track, AccurateRip has to read the track before to verify and if the offsets are different...
    Aha! Thank you - that makes sense. In which case, I guess re-ripping whole discs is the most efficient workflow. Thanks for the help!