title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How many frame does it take to make a noticeable noise in the track?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

How many frame does it take to make a noticeable noise in the track?

I'm re-ripping a track in secure mode and it sasy 40 frames, Would that be bad enough to warrant a secure ripping?

How many minutes does it take to correct one frame? I want to know how long it would take to correct all 40 frames.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: How many frame does it take to make a noticeable noise in the track?

40 frames should be fast. a couple of minutes maybe. And are you not setting all your rips to be secure ripping? That's the most efficient. Set for secure. It tries a burst rip (fast), then compares to AccurateRip database. If it finds a match, it finishes. So super fast. If it doesn't find a match, it automatically moves from burst to the secure settings and tries reripping frames etc. All automatic. Setting it on BURST, then manually moving to SECURE is equivalent to taking an automatic transmission automobile, and driving it by manually moving it from 1st gear, to 2nd gear, then 3rd gear, etc. Put it in Drive and let the automatic transmission decide when to shift! (set it on secure ripping!)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Ok, I get how it works now. But I'm still worried that when it changes to SECURE, it might stall for way too long than it needs to. It took so long that I once made the time limit to 30 min but even that seemed too short.

For example 40 frames still took way too long.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ripcd View Post
    Ok, I get how it works now. But I'm still worried that when it changes to SECURE, it might stall for way too long than it needs to. It took so long that I once made the time limit to 30 min but even that seemed too short.

For example 40 frames still took way too long.
    "too long" is relative. If there is no AR match, the program runs as long it needs to try and get a secure rip (matching CRCs on different passes). I think I set it to end after 1 hour. Why would you not want a secure rip? That's the entire point of using dbpa rather than something like itunes. If it takes an hour, why not let it. Go watch a TV show, take a walk, etc. I've ripped 4,000 to 5,000 CDs, and probably less than 50 have taken more than 15 to 20 minutes.

Give us a bit of information:
    1. what type of computer are you using? Operating system?
    2. How many cores does it have 4, 8, ?
    3. What sort of optical drive are you using. Is it built in or connected via SATA, or is it connected via USB?
    4. What is the typical ripping speed you are seeing? 2x, 8x, 30x, ???

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

1. MacBook Pro 15 inch (2014)
    2. Quad-core i7 processor.
    3. This Pioneer drive: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It uses "Pure Read" technology which is supposed to fix errors but I've read some reviews that says it's not very effective.
    4. For fast ones I'm seeing about 15x, but sometimes it slows down to really slow speed like 2x, I don't know why. (Probably when it has errors it slows down).
    Last edited by ripcd; 10-20-2020 at 03:44 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

all should be fine. My office computer rarely rips above about 15 or so. My home computer, with an external drive in a SATA enclosure, connected via USB to my laptop, can rip super fast 30-40 or so. Just depends. By the way, you might try to get a second drive. It may work faster. And it also turns out that some CDs that rip with error on one drive, rip without errors on a different drive.