title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Qnap 4.5.1 No digital signature

Super Moderator

Re: Qnap 4.5.1 No digital signature

Thanks for reporting.
    Problem with QNAP firmware 4.5.1 confirmed, investigating.

Super Moderator

Upgraded one of my NASes to 4.5.1 manually (it is not in auto update yet...).
    Asset is flagged as disabled due to missing digital signature, but not actually blocked from running. You just can't legitimately open it from QNAP app list - or suspend it without removal. This seems to be QNAP's idea of security; I wish this was some joke but it's not.
    You can still access Asset by entering http://name-of-your-NAS:45537/ in your web browser.
    QNAP QPKG building kit entry is also flagged as unsigned/disabled on the same NAS, I hope that also works or else my build chain is broken....

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I reported the issue over on the naim forum together with the tip about using the Qmanager app and have had a couple of responses confirming that users there have tried this and that Asset can be started up using Qmanager as suggested in my earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by sjbabbey View Post
    Hammerhead

I haven't tried this yet as I don't want to "Stop" Asset and have to regress my firmware again but it may work for you.

QNAP have an app called Qmanager which you can install on an ipad/android tablet or smartphone. Using Qmanager the left hand side menu has a link to your QNAP's App Centre. In mine the Asset icon is listed as installed and has 3 dots on the right hand side which opens a menu. In that menu I have the options to Stop the app, Remove the app or Cancel (Leave the menu). This is because my app is still active and I can access its config page from the front menu icon on my QNAP.

Hopefully, if you open the Qmanager app on your device the Asset logo will appear and have the option to "Start" Asset.

Please try this if you can and report back either way.

Brilliant - this worked for me. I saw the attached on my iPhone and just pressed 'start'

I know that QNAP want to be cautious about unsigned apps but I don't think that they should be blocking them! I've just seen the later reply on this as well.IMG_1540.jpg

Can Spoon get the app signed?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thank you for the webpage tip, Peter. These are great to have as shortcuts direct to the config page so I've now bookmarked the config pages in my web browser in case I need them in future.

Super Moderator

Quoting QNAP support email-
    There is a problem that the non-signed QPKG cannot be run in the QTS firmware 4.5.1.

It has been reported to our developer to solve the problem.
    I'm still asking them if they can provide us with a code signing key to prevent this in the future, so far I've not been able to find any info about how to obtain such key.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

QNAP have just released firmware 4.5.1.1461 build 20201020.

Unfortunately, this does not resolve the issue but listed among the "Known Issues" is:

"After a system update to QTS 4.5.1, users cannot run applications that lack digital signatures."

At least QNAP have acknowledged this as an issue which suggests that hopefully they might do something about it.

Needless to say I haven't updated my NAS to this latest firmware.
    Last edited by sjbabbey; 10-22-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Quoting QNAP support email-

I'm still asking them if they can provide us with a code signing key to prevent this in the future, so far I've not been able to find any info about how to obtain such key.
    Hi PeterP,
    it's a long time I wasn't in this forum, I guess speaking to you is like speaking to Spoon, right?

I was in the process to change my HDD to a SSD in the Qnap TS-253D and reinstall everything, but now I'm not sure I can do it with latest firmware 4.5.1.1461 and keep Asset running.
    Actually with upgraded firmware and Asset already installed I get only the warning in app center, but in main menu Asset icon is present and it works as usual.

After reading this thread it's not clear if Asset could install and run in a fresh new Qnap build with latest firmware.
    I've read a couple of solutions like using Qmanager app or using web browser link http://NAS-IP:45537/, but still it's not clear if those solutions are related to a fresh install of a Qnap NAS and latest firmware.
    Could you clarify this?
    Thanks!

Administrator

Yes you can install, it will be running automaticall.y.

Super Moderator

The new firmware does nothing to actually stop unsigned code from running, all it does is annoying people with making apps (that are actually running!) appear disabled.

Hi all, I confirm - despite Asset UPnP being listed with an orange exclamation mark and the only option "Remove" next to it, the app works. Note however that with the firmware update of last week-end, I had to unistall Asset and reinstall it again, and it would then show up as a normal app in the app center. With the firmware update of 20 October (4.5.1.1461), even after reinstalling it, the app is listed as "Remove" but works.

@PeterP, Is there a reason Asset does actually not have a digital signature? I does not seem to cost anything, at least according to QNAP. This would make Asset more visible as a serious alternative to other music streaming apps QNAP has in store, and reduce frustration with users that have to uninstall and reinstall.
    Last edited by MartinLX; 10-23-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Is there a reason Asset has no digital signature? It does not seem to cost anything according to QNAP (asked them today via the Helpdesk). This would make Asset visible in the QNAP App Store as a serious alternative to other music streaming apps. And avoid that users are becoming frustrated with having to uninstall and reinstall. I mean, why not simply get this digital signature?

Hi all, QNAP released today update QTS 4.5.1.1465 build 20201024 that among others contains a fix "After a system update to QTS 4.5.1, users could not run applications that lacked digital signatures."

I just installed it and Asset continues to work at it should. No need to deinstall and reinstall again, and the app is not blocked either. There is a little orange exclamation mark next to it saying "no digital signature", but that's it. You can open Asset directly from the App Center. Just tried everything out and it works.

https://www.qnap.com/en/release-note....1465/20201024

Issue seems to be fixed now. QNAP have released today update QTS 4.5.1.1465 build 20201024 that contains among others the following fix "After a system update to QTS 4.5.1, users could not run applications that lacked digital signatures."

I just installed the update and Asset works, so not need to unsintall and reinstall. The app is shown with a little orange exclamation mark in the app center, saying it has no digital signature. But apart from that, no issues and the app works. It can also be opened directly from the app center.

https://www.qnap.com/en/release-note....1465/20201024