title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

I think I made a mistake in going along with default track-naming order

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ripcd
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jun 2020

I think I made a mistake in going along with default track-naming order

Right now it's set to Album artist, Album title, then name of Track.

But when I have already ripped over 100 CDs, I'm starting to think that having the name of album artist and album title in the track is completely unnecessary and clogs up the title so that I can't see what the names of the tracks are at a glance unless I actually tap on the song, because before the name of the tracks the name of the artist and album clogs the whole thing, making the track title virtually useless.

Am I missing something? Why is the default set up like that?
  • ripcd
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jun 2020

Re: I think I made a mistake in going along with default track-naming order

I realized that the problem I was having was only when I went into the music folder but when I put the track in a playlist I did not see that same problem in a playlist (there was no title clogging).

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ripcd
      Right now it's set to Album artist, Album title, then name of Track.

But when I have already ripped over 100 CDs, I'm starting to think that having the name of album artist and album title in the track is completely unnecessary and clogs up the title so that I can't see what the names of the tracks are at a glance unless I actually tap on the song, because before the name of the tracks the name of the artist and album clogs the whole thing, making the track title virtually useless.

Am I missing something? Why is the default set up like that?

Because some people like that (and some people don't organize their music by album (believe it or not). In my own case, I agree with you (I already know artist name and album name because of the folders). I use the following naming string (handles compilations, multi-disk, album artist vs artist only, etc. Except for compilation CDs, the actual file name only has the track number followed by track title. Paste this string into your settings for the default naming and rip a few disks and see what you think.

[MAXLENGTH]240,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]

For your already ripped CDs, you can change the name easily in a batch method for those 100 cds, using the dbpa utility DSP, "arrange audio".
      Last edited by garym; 10-13-2020, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The default naming is:

[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[track] [artist] - [title][]

Which in the filename only puts track number, artist and title.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>