title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: The infamous DSD-click and DSF-FLAC conversion and transcoding

Exclamation The infamous DSD-click and DSF-FLAC conversion and transcoding

My library consists of a lot of FLAC albums up to 24/384 and DSD (64, 128). Part of the DSD is directly downloaded DSF files (paid for) and the rest is ripped SACD (which I own and paid for. I use Sonore software to rip the SACD). I play most of my music using the native codec, i.e. I do not transcode anything, except for the iPhone. A common nasty problem I have (and has been discussed a lot), I have are the so-called "DSD-clicks", i.e. there is always an audible click between tracks from DSF-files ripped from SACD. I occurs everywhere, i.e. independent of DAC (Mytek, Oppo, Chord, etc.) and all kind of transcoding software, such as JRiver, Roon, Plex (Plexamp).

Mostly the click is not to cloud, but still very annoying when using headphones and/or albums with a lot of short tracks played gapless (oratoria, opera).
    Recently I started using Dbpoweramp for DSD/FLAC conversion as a test. The clicks from files created by Dbpoweramp are unacceptable loud. So there is difference between the various software programs.

Q1: how can I eliminate the clicks entirely; Q2: Why does Dbpoweramp make the problem much worse.

Administrator

Re: The infamous DSD-click and DSF-FLAC conversion and transcoding

A click can be where the audio ends on high part of the sinewave, and the next audio starts somewhere else. The easy way to remove it is to use a DSP effect 'FADE' and set the length of fade to 1 second (both in an out)

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    A click can be where the audio ends on high part of the sinewave, and the next audio starts somewhere else. The easy way to remove it is to use a DSP effect 'FADE' and set the length of fade to 1 second (both in an out)
    As I do not want to impact the gapless playback (no perfect gapless is as bad as an audible click), I have concluded that I have to re-rip all SACD's as I deleted all ISO's. There is a forked version of the Sonore software which has solved, among others, the click issue.

Administrator

It probably does the fade internally...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

@PaulDSD - I believe this issue is due to the padding (block byte size) incorrectly applied during conversion to .dsf. As you noted a fork of Sonore product mostly addresses this problem.

There is an option you can try...some people report converting dsf --> dff --> dsf will correct the padding issue. The link below offers a free trial of a utility that claims to be able to do this.
    Maybe check it doesn't pass the conversion through PCM first though (you lose the native DSD). There is also a mac-only product called dff2dsd but it only does the conversion one way (but may be this help with a step).

https://samplerateconverter.com/dsf/...onvert-dsf-dff